Mislabelled Fresh Wort Kit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crunched

Reaction score
I'd read about the Brewer's Selection Amarillo Ale fresh wort kit and most of the comments about it were extremely positive - so I went down to the LHBS and asked for one. Got given a Brewer's Selection fresh wort kit with a label on the top corner that read "Amarillo Ale". The owner also gave me a packet of US-05 (recommended for the Amarillo Ale). Off I went home and the next day brewed it up.

After 7 days in primary, I decided to rack and get an SG reading. When I took the SG reading, I noticed the beer was very pale and on tasting, tasted nothing like amarillo (or anything like JS Golden Ale as this fresh wort kit is supposed to). Tasted and looked more like a pale ale. So I checked the cube it came in again - label on top says "Amarillo Ale" but there was also another label on the side that said "Aussie Pale Ale". God damn it!

So now I have a Aussie Pale Ale fresh wort kit - which apparently when brewed with the recommended yeast (S-04) doesn't taste real good anyway, and I've brewed it with US-05. Not happy.

Will this yeast suit this style of beer?

i'd be having a friedly chat with the LHBS. im sure they would be happy to fix up the issue.

US05 will be ok. s04 and US05 are both ale yeasts. I recon the us05 will go better with the aussie pale anyway as s04 is an 'english ale' yeast

05 is a neutral type yeast so I don't think it will be a problem in that kit. From what you have said it may even improve the beer. Call the shop and complain about the packaging on the fw kit. I think you are entitled to a freebie.

on another note, you will have wanted to keep the US05 in the 18-20C (22C max) fermentation range. If you let it drift into upper 20's or waffle around, you can generally expect acetaldehyde (green apple in aroma/flavour) so regardless of the FWK debacle, you will have an undesirable finished beer. In fact, you may have well received the amarillo kit (you have a 50/50 chance, no?) but faults will shadow the character you're expecting. It's still worth a mention to your LHBS, and bring in a bottle for sample/feedback.

good luck,
reVox

Not a first for that either, someone was on a while back about incorrect labels on FWK`s, and in one case no label at all. Can`t recall the make tho.

on another note, you will have wanted to keep the US05 in the 18-20C (22C max) fermentation range. If you let it drift into upper 20's or waffle around, you can generally expect acetaldehyde (green apple in aroma/flavour) so regardless of the FWK debacle, you will have an undesirable finished beer. In fact, you may have well received the amarillo kit (you have a 50/50 chance, no?) but faults will shadow the character you're expecting. It's still worth a mention to your LHBS, and bring in a bottle for sample/feedback.

good luck,
reVox
No problems here - it's been sitting at 18*C for the last 7 days (with one day accidentally dropping to 16.5*C, but nothing over 19*C all week). Definitely the aussie pale ale kit too - no chance it's got amarillo in it - I love amarillo.

I rang the HBS and got an apology, but that's it. Wasn't the owner though, so will call back later to speak with him.

Here I was wanting to try out a good example of an AG wort, and I get this...

You could spruce it up a little with some dry hopping...

So I checked the cube it came in again - label on top says "Amarillo Ale" but there was also another label on the side that said "Aussie Pale Ale". God damn it!

Bit of a bummer that between you & the guy who sold it to you, the two differing labels were not noticed. Even pitching the kit in the fermenter you missed it again. Oh well, you have a beer. This time of year there seems to be a need for beer,best you drink it!

On the front of a bag of grain it tells you clearly that it is "Tradition Ale Malt" or "Maris Otter" or what ever. You don't have to look for any other rogue stickers.
Time to clear some space in the shed & get some fun new toys. All Grain brewing needs guys like you!

James

I can't see anything wrong with an APA fermented with US-05, I do my house APA with it and I reckon it's a great yeast for the style. Apart from the lable mix up (which if you took it back to your LHBS, they'd prolly sort something with you), I don't think you have too much to worry about. Like Adamt mentioned earlier, if you want to try it, throw 20g of amarillo in it to dy hop and suck it up, literally... :D

Back