Mischievous Trub

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

discoloop

Reaction score
My latest brew has just reached final gravity and I'd like to bottle but I'm having a bit of trouble with some mischievous trub.

I've noted, filling the test tube to take a gravity reading, that little globs of trub are pouring out of the fermenter tap with the beer.

The globs do sink straight to the bottom, so I imagine all would be well if I were to just bottle as is, but I would rather they not be there.

Any ideas what could be causing the problem? Is it just a mega yeast cake?

Since I lack suitable equipment to rack does anyone have any ideas on what I could do to avoid getting these globs into the bottle?

The brew was an all-extract (my first!) using safale us56.

A mega yeast cake could be leading to a little bit of trub in the test sample. To my knowledge not much can be done apart from racking unless you can filter the beer as it comes out. I'm not sure how that can be done.

In theory, the trub near the tap entry (or in the tap itself) should run out pretty quickly. If the trub is up over the tap then you would be getting a sample that full of trub. I've seen 'sediment' reducers that fit into the tap (before filling) that are supposed to help. Personally I rack everything for at least a week to help with clearing.

I bulk prime, so when trub goes out the tap, it's not a biggie, since it'll settle at the bottom of my bottling bucket

you could tilt and sit the fermenter back carefully to try make the trub run away from the tap for now i spose. Do this now to try get it to settle away from the tap

Solution to this problem was much easier than I imaged! Began bottling staight from the fermenter. First beer was full of yucky bits. After that...all good!

Beer seems a bit 'chill-hazey', though, but on the whole not too bad.

I am led to believe that it is a good idea to keep as much of the yuck off the bottom of the fermenter out of the bottle as it may contain proteins which can be re-absorbed into the beer and help create chill-haze.

I guess there will always be losses to trub in brewing unless you have lots of fine filters and time. In another place, someone suggested I use stainless steel scrubbers as a filter on the end of my racking hose. There may be some use for them in some other way?

Back