Microbrew Festival

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bear09

Reaction score
Hi All,

So I went to the microbrewing festival @ Federation square in Melbourne last night. I could sense that there were plenty of AHB'ers there...

Anyhow I am thrilled. I am trilled to know that Im not the only one who spends a lot of time, money and effort on trying to make GREAT beer only to feel like I am not quite getting there...

Several (in fact the majority) of beers that I sampled did not quite hit the mark. They came close oh so close but I could still pick holes in them. Whether it was a slightly off after taste from the yeast or poorly balanced - there was a lot of beers there that I could easily compete with using my brewery. I am happy about this. I am an utter perfectionist when it comes to beer from the look (clarity) to the aroma and to the flavour right from the front of the palate to the very back. The whole experience of a beer is what I crave and for me - its got to be perfect - anything short is not good enough.

A select few beers really did hit the mark. They were extremely clear, balanced and delicious - this is what I shall continue to strive for at home.

Any other AHB'ers feel the same?

Hi All,

So I went to the microbrewing festival @ Federation square in Melbourne last night. I could sense that there were plenty of AHB'ers there...

Anyhow I am thrilled. I am trilled to know that Im not the only one who spends a lot of time, money and effort on trying to make GREAT beer only to feel like I am not quite getting there...

Several (in fact the majority) of beers that I sampled did not quite hit the mark. They came close oh so close but I could still pick holes in them. Whether it was a slightly off after taste from the yeast or poorly balanced - there was a lot of beers there that I could easily compete with using my brewery. I am happy about this. I am an utter perfectionist when it comes to beer from the look (clarity) to the aroma and to the flavour right from the front of the palate to the very back. The whole experience of a beer is what I crave and for me - its got to be perfect - anything short is not good enough.

A select few beers really did hit the mark. They were extremely clear, balanced and delicious - this is what I shall continue to strive for at home.

Any other AHB'ers feel the same?

Balanced and delicious is what I go for. Clarity I'm not too worried about.

Often feel this way.
My beers might not have the clarity of a filtered one, but what do you expect? Especially for bottle conditioned, they are clear enough for me - and for my mates, even the ones who prefer megaswill to a good HB.
Several times I've been having a quiet drink in the evening and thought "next time I make this recipe I will do x, y & z to:make it more balanced, better mouthfeel, more aroma etc. only to realise I'm drinking a beer not of my own making. When that happens I always smile and think I must be doing something right when I think I could improve something I paid $4 - $6+ a stubbie for from the bottle shop.

There's nothing like looking at a diamond bright beer though... very pretty.

I am bleeding i could not make it along last night!
I have already called a mate who went along and he has not returned the call yet.....

The art of balance...the best part about HB is creating to your own preferences!
Love it.

There's nothing like looking at a diamond bright beer though... very pretty.

Couldnt agree more. Clarity to me is very important - it signifies to me a beer that is well made and has had attention paid to detail.

I care about clarity - im gonna do a search now for a poll on this....

If a beer is not diamond bright then something is making it so, whether it is yeast, proteins or polyphenols.

Each of these have a taste and textural properties.

For that reason i like my beer clear.

A beer tastes cleaner when it has been clarified (and that could be adequate cold conditioning/lagering time, fining and/or filtering).

Or chill haze - in which case, there isn't enough protein for most to pick it up.

It's like an idiot that likes Krystall Weibier - the idea of a wheat beer is that it's cloudy. The yeast, and wheat protein give it flavour and body.

To want it clear, means to remove the components that make it a weibier.

The same argument applies in the BJCP guidelines, where diacetyl in small amounts is appropriate for certain styles, but is a severe penalty regime for other styles. It can either be a favourable characteristic, or a brewing flaw - it depends on context.

The difference between a clear beer and a bright beer to me, is so neglible, it isn't worth the effort.

Sure, I understand when talking about a lager, where the brewer hasn't bothered to remove protein/break and it's yuk to look at. Clarity is an attribute (though I'm still betwixt and between as to whether brightness is).

But if a brewer does an APA and I can see through it, it's enough. Pure clarity (brightness) is cosmetic, when compared with adequate clarity - in most styles of beer.

Goomba

If a beer is not diamond bright then something is making it so, whether it is yeast, proteins or polyphenols.

Each of these have a taste and textural properties.

For that reason i like my beer clear.

A beer tastes cleaner when it has been clarified (and that could be adequate cold conditioning/lagering time, fining and/or filtering).

Here here...

i was pretty unimpressed with the organisation on thursday night, i got there at 4:30 and didn't get in till way after 6. i had not been in a few years and i remember just walking straight in. obviously word got around and i'll have to buy tickets online next time i go. still it would have been nice for them to actually say that it would be a problem on there website. </rant>

i gravitated towards the brewery's that i had not tryed yet, 2 birds only had one beer on offer, it was a pale ale and it was pretty impressive, they obviously put alot of work into it. black heart was pretty good, i was slowly working my way through there beers but the event got closed befor i hit there darker offerings, there wheat was the best one i had had all day. fantastic. spewing i didn't get to try there dunkel. i also had a good crack at cavalier and also found them to be pretty impressive too. overall i would have to say there was only one beer for the night i was not a fan of, but kolsch is a hard beer to brew so i'll let them off :p

I had never tasted a Kolsch until this one and I thought it wasnt that impressive so Im glad it wasnt just me thinking it. I went on the wednesday night and lined up for about half an hour. I was really disappointed that they stopped serving at 8pm instead of 8-30pm like advertised but I tried about 18 beers so money well spent. Cause everyone got cut off at 8pm I never had a chance to taste the growler that I had been hearing about all night and that is what I went to try at 8 and they wouldnt budge.

Back to the OP, The thing that blew my mind the most is that I have tasted better home brew beers at the case swap day then the other night. I guess the obsession grows and I'll just have to make better beers at home :beer:

i was pretty unimpressed with the organisation on thursday night, i got there at 4:30 and didn't get in till way after 6. i had not been in a few years and i remember just walking straight in. obviously word got around and i'll have to buy tickets online next time i go. still it would have been nice for them to actually say that it would be a problem on there website. </rant>

i gravitated towards the brewery's that i had not tryed yet, 2 birds only had one beer on offer, it was a pale ale and it was pretty impressive, they obviously put alot of work into it. black heart was pretty good, i was slowly working my way through there beers but the event got closed befor i hit there darker offerings, there wheat was the best one i had had all day. fantastic. spewing i didn't get to try there dunkel. i also had a good crack at cavalier and also found them to be pretty impressive too. overall i would have to say there was only one beer for the night i was not a fan of, but kolsch is a hard beer to brew so i'll let them off :p

2 brothers makes the growler, i used to live and work near them, there in morabbin and open thurs and fri nights, not only do they have a good range of quality beers they make pretty good pizza and always have some live music on. well worth the night out

i went on wednesday night selection if beers where great but the organisers were S##t also got turfed out at 8.00 with with still a couple of tickets left

Latest posts

Back