Metallic Taste In Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I know. I was trying to be polite.

An acid based sanitsier like Starsan? :huh:

I get a metallic bite from lots of beers. Metallic aroma from even more. Seems to be more prevalent in darker beers. I'm not as quick to blame storage/handling as some others here - I wonder if they're buying most of their beers from one place and assuming some correlation. I get it from many beers from many countries from many retailers (and at breweries).

The OP's enquiry was related directly to a brew that his friend had done.
Based on his observations the taste in this case is in a sample of bottles that were sanitised as opposed to the samples that were rinsed with water. There was no enquiry as to why some commercial examples have a metallic taste.

My quotation above was based on a friend who for a time was creating extract brews.
When I used to visit and sample his beer, it allways seemed to have a metallic taste.
He had become used to it and didn't think he had a problem so I decided to try to find the cause.
I attended while he prepared the extract and put it in the fermenter with no obvious problem. He used temp control during ferment so no problem there.
It came time for bottling and he was using PET bottles. He had had problems in the past with crud being left in those indentations in the base of those bottles so he was storing them with diluted phos acid and when it came to bottling time he was upending them on his bottle tree, letting them drain and then botlling his beer.
I took 4 of these bottles and let him bottle as usual while we rinsed the remaining lot and bottled the rest of the beer.
When questioned as to the strength of the sanitiser his method was to put a "splash" in each bottle and filling it up with water, putting the lid on and storing until bottling time.
Well when it was time to sample, the 4 that we had marked had that metallic taste and the rest were fine ( for extract).
The OP was from some time back so he may have sorted his problem.
It would be interesting to find out..

Cheers

I wonder if the breweries ship their beers in large tanks and the bottling happens at retain contracted bottling plants/local breweries. A particular store or region might get what gets bottled locally then, might explain the commercial thing.

Come to think of it, never yet had it from a beer bottled live. Reckon it might be a particular bottler/s that have issues with their process.

Back