Meanwhile on the Volga

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
Growing up in the UK during the Cold War I've always been fascinated by the Former Soviet Union. Well Google Street View is getting the place pretty well nailed and I love just cruising around little towns and cities with unpronouncable names - it's a total head spin. Here's a little place on the Volga. Sure there are a lot of monolithic apartment slabs from the old Worker's Paradise but it's amazing what lovely old corners there are, plus millions of Russians seem to live in little old houses on little old streets, not too different to many Australians in regional cities.
This one knocked me out... Saratov on the Volga. And why not, indeed.

siberia 1.jpg

siberia 2.jpg

Guinness must be the world's most sold beer. Irish pubs are everywhere. Waiting to open in Riyadh 50 lashes bar.

:p

However I bet they don't sell Russian Imperial Stout in Chechnya.

dashcam crash videos on youtube are another good way to see Russia. good times

Those crashes never cease to amase me!
Being typical russians they seem to just drive into each other to proove who is right, you never see any of them swerve... Lol

Im motha russia when in crash, dont use brakes!

Haha yeah , there are some good bungee spots aswell , like any 10 storey + building !

Picture tells a thousand words.

A lovely old Russian Orthodox Church in Saratov. A glorious sunny day - some old Babushkas sit outside chatting, a lady in traditional dress strolls past. Two strollers left outside, the mothers have taken their babies into the church, to pray? Planters of petunias on the footpath show civic pride at odds with the often portrayed "dire" situation in the former Soviet Union. An afternoon glow settles on the scene.

(one block from that Irish pub) :beerbang:

The truly inspiring desire for humans to live the good and the gentle life, wherever they are.

siberia church.jpg

Guess not everyone likes Streetview...

Tad confused by the need for wetsuits, masks and snorkels...and an umbrella - perhaps for shade.

There was a thing a while back of working out when the streetview cars were going to be around and doing weird stuff so photos of said weird stuff would appear in streetview. Hence the wetsuits etc.

Bribie G said:
Picture tells a thousand words.

A lovely old Russian Orthodox Church in Saratov. A glorious sunny day - some old Babushkas sit outside chatting, a lady in traditional dress strolls past. Two strollers left outside, the mothers have taken their babies into the church, to pray? Planters of petunias on the footpath show civic pride at odds with the often portrayed "dire" situation in the former Soviet Union. An afternoon glow settles on the scene.

(one block from that Irish pub) :beerbang:

The truly inspiring desire for humans to live the good and the gentle life, wherever they are.

attachicon.gif
siberia church.jpg
That is just Marrickville mate.

Back