Mashed at strike temp - can it be saved?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chap

Reaction score
Turns out I didn't turn my urn off once the water hit the strike temp, So I've been mashing (BIAB) at about 72oC for an hour. :(

Can I salvage this brew in any way? I was hoping to make a basic smash with 5kg BB ale malt.

Cheers
Chap

Turns out I didn't turn my urn off once the water hit the strike temp, So I've been mashing (BIAB) at about 72oC for an hour. :(

Can I salvage this brew in any way? I was hoping to make a basic smash with 5kg BB ale malt.

Cheers
Chap

Can you do an Iodine test? What was the initial mash temp? It may well be ok just a full body beer.

Last edited:
The initial mash in temp was 66, then crept back up to the urn set temp of 72.

Within saccharification temps so should be OK. I hope you continued with it? Ferment it and see how it tastes. If it’s ok but a bit sweet for your taste you could brew a dry version and blend them.

It should be good, 66 and then a temp rise. You could use Nottingham yeast to help dry out the possible sweet flavour.

Thanks all, yeah I did continue with it and no chilled. I'll run with it as is for now and if it's too sweet I might do the blend idea thanks S.E

How Do ,
If you had a rest @ 66 for anything over 20 - 30 minutes i`d reckon on it being fine , if very full bodied
Cheers
Edd

add a bit of sugar to dry it out.
Dude that's just so wrong!
Using sugar as part of the OG will give a dryer beer, but all the parts of the wort that contribute to FG are still there, sugar is 100% fermentable so you will get the same FG (just as sweet) only with more alcohol.
I too think the beer will be fine, BB Ale is a very well modified malt, the beer will be a little fuller but far less than you expect, certainly not enough to wanting to be throwing it out.
At the end of fermentation if its too sweet you could add a dry enzyme (any HBS) odds on that would make it a bit dryer than you are looking for.
Braukaiser did a series of experiments on most of the common mash variables, makes good reading.
Mark

Dude that's just so wrong!
Using sugar as part of the OG will give a dryer beer, but all the parts of the wort that contribute to FG are still there, sugar is 100% fermentable so you will get the same FG (just as sweet) only with more alcohol.
I too think the beer will be fine, BB Ale is a very well modified malt, the beer will be a little fuller but far less than you expect, certainly not enough to wanting to be throwing it out.
At the end of fermentation if its too sweet you could add a dry enzyme (any HBS) odds on that would make it a bit dryer than you are looking for.
Braukaiser did a series of experiments on most of the common mash variables, makes good reading.
Mark

true I should have added water it down a little and add a little sugar

Latest posts

Back