Mash Paddle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopnsandles

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm new to this site and I was wondering if Tassie Oak is ok for a mash paddle , I have been brewing for about 20 years but only now I am getting into All Grain . I've been doing Extract for the last 10 to 15 years . I have 2 keggles and a mash tun;with an insulator. 1 Keggle I have made work both as a Lauter and a fermenter . March pump system and burners on the way , can't wait to get it going ! Any advise would be appreciated.
Cheers Darren

Yep, Tassie oak would be fine
Go luck on the new adventure, Dave

I thought so as wood has been used for ages in brewing and has minor antibacterial properties . I'm like a kid with a new toy and can't wait for my first brew Thanks

I have just made one using tassie oak, nice hard wood and works a treat, not sure how I got by without one to be honest...

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1421885300.456356.jpg

This is my one I made a month or two ago. Tassie oak from Bunnings. Pretty basic but does the job and only took about half an hour to make.

Im not sure what wood i used from bunnings for my first mash paddle but after about 15 brews it cracked apart and I went back to my old BBQ convereted wood paddle.

Think I might grab some Tassie Oak and try that out.

Thanks guys , that paddle looks great . Hers a pic of mine not quite finished , I have a bit more sanding and finishing to do .image.jpg

Yeah , looks bling ! I used a panel shop buff machine and some G23 compound I borrowed from a customer of mine . But before that , that keg was covered I tree sap , so I had to clean with turps and a pocket knife to scrape everything off . Then I took to it with 180 grit wet and dry , gave it a good sanding all over then went to 320 grit then 600 grit . Took a long time and effort but well worth it . I'm using it for a fermenter as well as a lauter . Cheers

image.jpg

Here's a pic of it as a fermenter , I'll be filling this baby this weekend with an extract cascade light, 40ltr batch .

image.jpg

image.jpg

I was about to comment on the gorgeous looking grass, but then looked a bit closer and thought that it's probably not real.

Still does look gorgeous, though.

Hopnsandles said:
Here's a pic of it as a fermenter , I'll be filling this baby this weekend with an extract cascade light, 40ltr batch .
What's the gasket made out of?

Yeah it's a lovely piece of lawn , I mow it with the vacuum cleaner . Lol .
I was going to use a silicone baking mat but me being a tight arse I chose 12 layers of cling wrap (cheap as)
12 layers worked out to be about the same thickness as a baking mat . Over size and under size to suit the 32cm hole
cling wrap being food grade I thought was a good idea . I have done a simple gas pressure test by pouring a kettle full
of water in the fermenter, locking down and watching , the steam forced pressure and when the steam cooled it had
Reverse pressure , I guess it will work . That's why I'm going to do a cheap beer to start with , but I'm optimistic.
It won't be reusable but disposable , I made about 10 in 1 go . I'll use star San to sanitise and discard after
Fermenter is empty

Very, very nice

Shiny is sooo good.

The mash paddle is tops too :)

I must do that to my kettle one day

Another project to do thanks alot ;)
Both very nice looking bits of kit
:)

Fermenter ready for test run Australia Day . Liquid Malt extract and "Target" hop boil . Low $ risk to see if it works , here's hoping .
Got my wash trolley to keep things clean .

image.jpg

Latest posts

Back