Mash Paddle Made From Pine?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
truman,i personally wouldnt go with pine because of the resins in it.
this could give a pine ale! i think the same would happen with cedar and a cedar paddle wont last long as cedar doesnt have any strength in it,also i wouldnt oil/varnish/coat a mash paddle with anything as it could contaminate your brew
.........cheers......spog......... quote name='Truman' date='May 7 2012, 09:31 AM' post='908929']
Gday gents,

Just wondering if a mash paddle can be made from 1/2 inch thick pine? We have some skid pallets here at work with raw pine slats on them that are 1/2 inch thick and I was going to have a go at making a mash paddle.

Thanks mate, Thats why I went with Tassie oak.. ;)

umm dont wont to upset you...but tassie oak is actually a pine fair dinkum....but it wont affect you brew.....cheers....spog.....
Thanks mate, Thats why I went with Tassie oak.. ;)

Hahaha just posted in a thread i found via search then this pops up :p

anyone considered using Grey Ironbark for a mash paddle/fence support?

The density is about 1100kg/m2 when seasoned.
the wood itself is hard, strong and durable.
Grain is usually tight and straight
I've seen it used a lot in the Aussie Ski Slurpy fields as outer cladding.

umm dont wont to upset you...but tassie oak is actually a pine fair dinkum....but it wont affect you brew.....cheers....spog.....

Jesus. Google at your fingertips and everything...

Genus is "Eucalyptus". You have further proven my theory that everyone who uses the words "fair dinkum" is a moron. :D

Well here's my attempt

Bit rough but it does the job.

mash.jpg

i was wrong,as flash-dg posted an hour before you ,but that is no reason to attack me and call me a moron.....
Jesus. Google at your fingertips and everything...

Genus is "Eucalyptus". You have further proven my theory that everyone who uses the words "fair dinkum" is a moron. :D

2012_03_23_08.56.06.jpgI made this one up for our club (Ipswich Brewers Union ) as a trophy to go into the new craft beer bar at Yamanto when it's finished, just used a piece of left over decking. Turned out ok.

Latest posts

Back