Marris Otter Compared To Jw Trad Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jayse has struck upon a good point. This thread is kind of going off the rails. Getting back to the original question by Mark will he notice a difference between Marris Otter (depending on maltster) and JW Ale?

Easiest way to find out Mark is shell out and do an identical recipe with the differences being the base malt and see what works for you. One man's meat is another man's poison.

Warren -

:icon_offtopic:

I notice nobody has mentioned Barrett Burston yet. I'm tending to use it for everything nowadays, the Ale, the Pilsener and the Galaxy. :icon_drool2: Also It keeps the dollar onshore.

An Aussie Private Equity firm owns both Barrett Burston and Bairds. Therefore buying Bairds MO will be bringing money back to Aus, although of course more money will stay in Aus if you buy Barrett Burston.

This is why this thread is all over the shop, people are talking about Maris otter as if it is one specific malt product which it is not all it is is barley, you could get Maris otter that could be no more than stock food if given a bad lot.
For this thread to work people have to list the actaull malting company there talking about not just say 'Maris otter is not worth it'.
In the end one company my make great malt out of MO that shits all over any JWM malts and one company could just turn the MO in nothing more then stock food.

Jayse has nailed it!

I have made 100% Bairds GP English ales and was quite underwhelmed, I now have a 100% TF GP ale Im drinking at the moment and the difference is quite significant in both flavour and colour.

As far as the MO goes, for several years I have heard brewers lamenting the unavailability of TF MO, but never having tried it myself I could only take their word for it and while the Bairds MO has been acceptable it hasn't dazzled me.

I currently have a special bitter sitting in secondary made with TF MO malt So I'm really looking forward to tasting this when its ready.

BB

Slightly :icon_offtopic: but was in ESB in Peakhurst earlier this week and they have just got a shipment of Simpsons MO from the UK. To my knowledge this is a first into Australia.

Not tried it yet so can't comment on it but intend to do a nice summer ale with it shortly.

Cheers

Slightly :icon_offtopic: but was in ESB in Peakhurst earlier this week and they have just got a shipment of Simpsons MO from the UK. To my knowledge this is a first into Australia.

Not tried it yet so can't comment on it but intend to do a nice summer ale with it shortly.

Cheers
I believe Grain and Grape also have this malt - in fact it's the only MO on the upcoming Bulk-buy, (not quite sure what's happened to Bairds MO this year?).
Anyone care to offer an opinion on Simpsons' Malts?

Cheers

I've had some of that and Simpsons GP for a couple weeks now :p Anyone know if the MO is floor malted? I certainly dont. Nothing about it on the simpsons malting site.

I've had some of that and Simpsons GP for a couple weeks now :p Anyone know if the MO is floor malted? I certainly dont. Nothing about it on the simpsons malting site.

Fairly certain Sammus that only Fawcetts are are floor malted. I could be wrong but am fairly certain that Simpsons is not.

Edit: I vaguely remember a mention of Crisp Marris Otter being floor malted but that serves not purpose for us.

Warren -

I notice nobody has mentioned Barrett Burston yet. I'm tending to use it for everything nowadays, the Ale, the Pilsener and the Galaxy. :icon_drool2:

I'm only fairly new to AG, only done 15 or so batches and have used plenty of BB ale @ $2.50/kg from the LHBS I'd be mad not too. Have used TF marris, golden promise and halcyon. All have made great beers.

Back