Mangrove jacks cider

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ghizo

Reaction score
Put down a cider for the minister of war and finance,
The fermenter was given to me by a friend only used twice, when I went to check temp last night the tap was leaking. It was only a slow leak but I shot down to Bunnings and got a water tap, I removed the airlock, covered it with my finger tipped the fermenter on its side removed the tap and replaced ( after sterilising).
A bit leaked out through the lid. During the process.
Hoping it will be ok ( those kits are bloody expensive).
Anythoughts

Will be fine. They are a great kit, I just put one down today, they are ready to drink quick too which is a bonus!

I bought one of these kits on Friday which I am gonna brew for the missus too.

Earlier this yeah I had a dry hopped cider from 'The Hills Cider Company' and man it was tasty. I found out what hops they used and am going to dry hop mine too.

15 grams each of Cascade, Citra, Galaxy & Summer.

I'll let y'all know how it turns out.

Is there anything else to improve these kits , it put it down as per instructions with 1kg dextrose,
Does anyone do anything different?

Do these come like a bulmers cider and on the drier side? Or like a somersby and on the sweeter side? I want to shoot for the sweeter side

They gave a packet of sweetener that will not ferment, the instructions say do not add it if you want it dry, 1/2 or all if you like it sweet, I added it all for this one and will see how it goes

Ghizo said:
They gave a packet of sweetener that will not ferment, the instructions say do not add it if you want it dry, 1/2 or all if you like it sweet, I added it all for this one and will see how it goes
Mate let me know. Very interested to see how it turns out. Was it easy? Same process as kit beer?

Easy to put down, tasted good whe taking hydrometer reading, you add a apple flavour sachet 24hours before bottling . Will let you know how it tastes

First taste of the cider, only in the keg a week, it's drinkable but unless it improves a lot I would not do another

If using those unnatural sweetner don't leave it long I found they don't age well with it!
Ghizo said:

I've found these taste better with age. 2 months plus in the bottle. Adding fresh quality juice improves them to, but adds more cost. Still worth it in my opinion. Very easy reliable kits.

I'm not convinced. Ha, I'm getting so critical these days. Cider is a hard nut to crack if your fussy. After giving out a few that I thought was perfect every response was it is not sweat enough. :huh:
Edit: that is not based on the Mangroves Jack. I did one brew of the MJ it was ok. Sweat enough for most people.
Age it. Then judge it.

Ok been 1 month in the keg for three weeks.
It's drinkable, tastes very winey and at 5.6% does the job pretty quickly.
Probably would not do another one.
I am not a big cider drinker but I do like monteiths crushed Apple cider, this is nothing like that.
Will see how it ages will report again in a month

Ghizo said:
Ok been 1 month in the keg for three weeks.
It's drinkable, tastes very winey and at 5.6% does the job pretty quickly.
Probably would not do another one.
I am not a big cider drinker but I do like monteiths crushed Apple cider, this is nothing like that.
Will see how it ages will report again in a month
That's disappointing

Yeah bit dissapointing, as I said it is drinkable just nothing special better than strongbow but that's not saying much

I had the pear cider and it was really good. Used have the sweetener. My mum raved about it (she is almost 70). Very impressed and will do another one in the future.

Back