Malt Extract Vs Mash

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adric Hunter

Reaction score
Can any one please tell me what the comparison amount of Malt extract is to mashed malt. For instance if a recipe calls for say 1.5 kgs of pale malt to be mashed how much Malt extract would i have to use to give an equivalent contribution to the brew? If any one knows that would be a real help to me. Thank you

I took a look at the malt specs in Beersmith and most of the "Pale" type grains had an extract potential of around 1.036-1.038.

Most of the dried extracts were about 1.044 and most of the liquids were about 1.036. Pure sucrose is 1.046

So I thought that you would need 37/44 of 1.5 kg, or about 1.26kg of dried extract. But when I used the recipe conversion, it gave me 0.94kg :huh:

Which is near enough to a factor of 0.63. Confused? I know I am.

As far as working it out goes...

Approximately 78% dry yield for pale malt, => 1.5*0.75=1.17kg of dry yield.

Assuming a 75% mash efficiency, => 1.17*0.75=0.88kg recovered from mash.

As malt extract is approximately 80Brix, i.e. 80% malt, 20% water, => 0.88/0.8= 1.1kg.

1kg is close enough. It really depends on the mash efficiency the recipe assumes.

Cheers.

alright thanks

I've been using a calculation I picked up off a brewing site.

1 Malt = 0.75 Liquid Malt = 0.6 dry malt.

therefore 1 kilo malt = 0.75 kg liquid malt = .60 kg dry malt.

Not perfect but close enough for a simple calculator. As said by a few previously, the conversion rates play havoc with any calculations anyway, so use rule of thumb as your bestest simplest guide.

Latest posts

Back