Lord Raglan

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mckenry

Brummagem
Reaction score
Went here last night.
Inside is tastefully renovated, without going over the top with timber and chrome like some do. Large central bar, some slab tables against the wall that sit 8.

Rocks beers on tap of course and some others. Enjoyed all they had to offer. After going to the Rocks Brewery opening a couple of months ago, I was keen to have the India Session Ale (ISA) again and it didn't disappoint. Its a great idea for a beer style, while some might argue its simply an APA if its low on alcohol, but it really does have the characteristics of an IPA. Good job Scotty ///. Also had the lager, the pale, the golden (interesting, kind of cinnamon taste there, not my favourite, but inoffensive. Looked it up and it has topaz, galaxy and mosaic) the Red and a porter (I think as one we ordered wasn't available and I was well on my way by then)
They had some other beers on tap, such as Moo Brew dark and 4 pines something, but didn't try them. Finished off with a shot each of Black & White Sambuca, woke up at 5 this morning in the right bed.

Food was good. American icon type food at good prices. I had the Philly cheese-steak and my mates had a double cheeseburger and a fried chicken. All of us agreed it was pretty good food, but better seeing as they were only $15ish, on wooden boards with thick cut chips. That's a good pub price these days. I've seen burgers for $26 in pubs recently.

All in all it was a good place to go. I enjoyed the nice atmosphere, and they have a good selection of top notch beers.

Two negatives. Only one bar girl at 630pm when there were heaps of thirsty punters, so a bit slow to get a beer at first and then a second staff member came on later, when the place had thinned out a fair bit.

The other is that some of the beers were $9 / schooner. That hurt a bit, but I guess that's what has to happen in the city these days. Other beers must have been around the $6 mark though.

Would I go again? Hell yes.
No affiliation.
Lord Raglan website

I have been in all the pubs along Botany Rd. From Bunnerong to the Rocks... Drank a lot at the Star Hotel near the Raglan...Many Years Ago.....
I lived at Mascot then..
PJ.

poppa joe said:
I have been in all the pubs along Botany Rd. From Bunnerong to the Rocks... Drank a lot at the Star Hotel near the Raglan...Many Years Ago.....
I lived at Mascot then..
PJ.
You wouldn't recognise the Raglan now (on the inside)

mckenry said:
The other is that some of the beers were $9 / schooner. That hurt a bit, but I guess that's what has to happen in the city these days. Other beers must have been around the $6 mark though.
Yeah that's pretty much the norm for craft beer these days, and it's nothing outrageous.
I went to the Local Taphouse last Friday night, and I don't know if it was just because it was the 4th July USA tap takeover or I hadnt been there in a while but I was I bit taken aback at the prices.

$9 - $12 for most of their "small" beers which isnt much more than a middy (shmiddy?). $14 - $16 for a large which is basically a schooner, or maybe a whisker more, but only a select few were available in this size. There was just a couple of $6 small and $12 larges too.

And a gold coin donation at the door... for what I have NFI.

And it was packed to the rafters.

Back