Looking to buy a motorcycle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My mates 680 pantah could be heard from 4km away at night, harleys are quiet :D

You could always go green and buy an electric bike.
Heres IOM legend John McGuinness taking out the TT Zero class on the Mugen Motorsports ELECTRIC bike.
Lets me type again like I'm shouting. ELECTRIC.
May not have the spine tingling shriek of a combustion engine at full noise, but this is the the future. Amazing.

http://youtu.be/vlxZs2-gICc

Jaysus those TT riders are a crazy bunch. looks like the top speed is pretty good Dave.
Anyway I am narrowing my choices down and have a question for those in the know. I am looking at either a 2004 1000cc Monster with 32000 on the clock or a 2001 S4 with the water cooled engine with 11500 on the clock, both are $6000 and have the same amount of rego. The older bike has less Ks and the watercooled, detuned superbike engine. The newer one has more Ks and an aircooled engine. Thoughts?

cheers

Browndog

I'm not Ducatiboy Browndog! my dilemma is solved as I drove 120km to Warwick to look at the S4 and it was dirty and wouldn't even start. Jeez I was pissed.

What kind of tool doesn't atleast clean a bike and warm it up first so it looks better than it is when someone's coming to buy it?

32000km is not much.

Was talking to a mechanic at Nth Coast V-Twins and they have some of the ST2 & ST3's with 200,000km without being rebuilt

Ducatiboy stu said:
32000km is not much.

Was talking to a mechanic at Nth Coast V-Twins and they have some of the ST2 & ST3's with 200,000km without being rebuilt
They've got an 06 ST3 in the shop right now with 235,000k's on it for $6k...
(No idea if it's rebuilt or not)

sp0rk said:
What kind of tool doesn't atleast clean a bike and warm it up first so it looks better than it is when someone's coming to buy it?
Probably tried, but couldn't get it started, so didn't bother cleaning it.

ST3 would be my pick of a next bike.

Shame the stopped making them, they where a great bike.

Yeah, it's one of the bikes on my upgrade list for once I'm on my opens next year
If only I could find a decent DR650 right now :unsure:

Ducatiboy stu said:
ST3 would be my pick of a next bike.

Shame the stopped making them, they where a great bike.
Find another couple of grand and go the ST4s. 996 engine, Ohlins shock plus an extra valve in each cylinder.

DR's are so cheap new its crazy. Eight grand and change for a spanking new one with warranty. Not that you need it.

If it were me, I'd be giving Vince Strang at VSM a tingle about opening it up a bit. I swapped a mate and rode from Tumit to Cooma via the Snowy highway. Great bike, but dam, they're s-l-o-w in stock trim.
In fairness, I swapped a 990 ADV, so not exactly apples to apples. A little suspension work, like his had, transforms the bike.

There's one on ADR right now with all the fruit for $6500, so I'm gonna give him a bell
I'm looking for one with a bigger tank, bash guard and all that junk so I don't have to drop $1-1.5k immediately on all that stuff myself (and replacing the deathwings)
I will need to chuck some beefier springs on for my fat arse, but that's only a couple of hundred
My uncle is the workshop manager at a Suzuki dealership, so I should be able to get some power mods for fairly cheap :D

Well, residing in the Browndog garage is a 2007 695 with 16000km on the clock

monster.jpg

Love it, love it, love it.

carefull...the front wheel on those things have a habit of parting contact with the road and reaching for the sky...

Not that I would ever condone such antics,,,but...you know.... :ph34r:

Thank you Dave, when I feel the missus can cope with another assault on her sensibilities I will definitely be hitting her up with these very important omissions from the Ducati Factory.

Latest posts

Back