Looking For A Stout Extract Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Generally looks good.

A few points - I'd look at upping the roast barley a little. I regularly use 500g in an AG stout which gives that lovely coffee flavour. I'd throw in at least 250 to yours.
I think 450 dark crystal might be a bit much, especially in an extract brew. I'll use up to 500 crystal regularly in pale ales and ESB but the stout might be just a bit rich and chewy with that much. Maybe 200-300g.

Just to double check - you know that you need the grains to be cracked? (my first steeping attempt I didn't so not meaning to insult your intelligence)

Lastly, while I think a small amount of dex is a good addition in many extract brews, I'm not sure you'll need it for this one. My understanding is that Nottingham is a good attenuator (haven't used it myself) and it seems like you are wanting a big winter beer full of richness. Dropping the crystal back a bit and dropping out the dex should balance up OK.

I'd also think about swapping the fuggles and EKG - you'd need to re-calculate the IBU amounts to make them match but fuggles is generally preferred as a bittering hop rather than a flavouring hop. That's not to say it can't be used as a flavour hop (James Squire IPA is a commercial example of a beer that does) but it's not to everyone's taste. I Alternatively, you could look at a single bittering addition only to get the IBU you want. UK style stout is mainly about the malt and roastiness.

Having said that - According to reading, some historical stouts were even dry hopped with fuggles and Kent Goldings but these beers were generally matured for months.

I'd look at upping the roast barley a little. I regularly use 500g in an AG stout which gives that lovely coffee flavour
+1

I think 450 dark crystal might be a bit much, especially in an extract brew... the stout might be just a bit rich and chewy with that much. Maybe 200-300g.
+1

I'm not sure you'll need (dex) for this one. My understanding is that Nottingham is a good attenuator
+1 to no dex, and Nottingham attenuates extremely well. I had a pale ale get down to 1.004 with it (no infection). You may also like to consider windsor if you don't want the yeast that attenuative.

I'd also think about swapping the fuggles and EKG...Alternatively, you could look at a single bittering addition only to get the IBU you want. UK style stout is mainly about the malt and roastiness.
+1 - and it appears as though 40g of EKG at the start may overdo it. You don't want much hop flavour there, and the roasted grains do offer some coffee-like bitterness.

Goomba

A few points - I'd look at upping the roast barley a little. I regularly use 500g in an AG stout which gives that lovely coffee flavour. I'd throw in at least 250 to yours.
I think 450 dark crystal might be a bit much, especially in an extract brew. I'll use up to 500 crystal regularly in pale ales and ESB but the stout might be just a bit rich and chewy with that much. Maybe 200-300g.

ok... sounds good thanks...

Just to double check - you know that you need the grains to be cracked? (my first steeping attempt I didn't so not meaning to insult your intelligence)

i ordered them from grain and grape milled - is that the same thing / no good???

Lastly, while I think a small amount of dex is a good addition in many extract brews, I'm not sure you'll need it for this one. My understanding is that Nottingham is a good attenuator (haven't used it myself) and it seems like you are wanting a big winter beer full of richness. Dropping the crystal back a bit and dropping out the dex should balance up OK.

great - out with the dex.

milled is the same thing as cracked so all good should be a nice stout IMO

another +1

on the toucan coopers dark ale + coopers stout i also added 500g golden syrup and fermented with S-04, best kit beer i made, better then any extract stout attempt for that matter too and almost neck and neck with the AG oatmeal stout/coffee FES that i have made.

another +1

on the toucan coopers dark ale + coopers stout i also added 500g golden syrup and fermented with S-04, best kit beer i made, better then any extract stout attempt for that matter too and almost neck and neck with the AG oatmeal stout/coffee FES that i have made.

Thanks Sydneybrewer - you just reminded me of one of my first stouts, where I used treacle (less refined than golden syrup) and some ber dark brown sugar. Turned out fantastic.

Goomba

Hoping to make something similar, but will be a partial mash. How does it look?
This will be my first partial so trying to get my head around the whole mash process.
Going for the BIAB in an esky method.
Beersmith says I should mash with 8.6L, and I assume I should batch sparge with another 8.6L? Limited by my kettle at the moment
How is the IBU for the recipe too?
Still a tad unsure of mash temps and sparging (I know if after a full bodied stout so aiming high), but gonna just go for it and top up with DME to reach OG.

thanks,
Adam

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 16.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.066 SG
Estimated Color: 110.7 EBC
Estimated IBU: 23.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.00 kg Light Dry Extract (15.8 EBC) Dry Extract 36.70 %
2.50 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (5.Grain 45.87 %
0.40 kg Roasted Barley (Joe White) (1398.7 EBC) Grain 7.34 %
0.25 kg Chocolate Malt (Joe White) (750.6 EBC) Grain 4.59 %
0.20 kg Carafa Special III (Weyermann) (925.9 EBC)Grain 3.67 %
0.10 kg Black (Patent) Malt (985.0 EBC) Grain 1.83 %
40.00 gm Fuggles [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 17.7 IBU
20.00 gm Fuggles [4.50 %] (20 min) Hops 5.4 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 3.45 kg
----------------------------
My Mash
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Step Add 8.62 L of water at 76.8 C 68.3 C

Sparge with enough to make up your pre-boil volume. You will lose around 1 litre per kilo to grain absorption in the mash and of course you will leave some liquid behind in the kettle so if you put 16 L in you won't get 16 L out.

Reckon I'd look at upping the IBU to around 30 but it's personal taste.

I'd mash a bit lower because the extract will give a thick beer anyway. Aim for 66.

Ok thanks. Forgot about grain absorption (1 L/kg?).
I'll aim for 30 IBU. Which do think would be better, more hops in late or early in the boil?
I don't want to mask the smell from the grains with late hop additions, so perhaps:

40gm fuggles at 60mins (17.7 IBU)
40gm fuggles at 40mins (15.6 IBU)

thanks

I'll jump in here because this thread instigated my decision to use some naked golden oats in my last brew. I think they definitely need to be mashed, they are not at all crystallised, and are very starchy.

Domix, I think your recipe looks good, and against Manticle, i'd prefer the lower ibu. I like the mixed dark grains, should be decidedly roasty.

Ok thanks. Forgot about grain absorption (1 L/kg?).
I'll aim for 30 IBU. Which do think would be better, more hops in late or early in the boil?
I don't want to mask the smell from the grains with late hop additions, so perhaps:

40gm fuggles at 60mins (17.7 IBU)
40gm fuggles at 40mins (15.6 IBU)

thanks

No need for late hops in a stout unless you are making an american stout or feel experimental.

Anything between 60 and 40. I'd probably stick with a single bittering addition to keep it simple

@ Bizier: from memory (have to look it up) my stout recipe sits around 28-30 and is definitely not too bitter. However it's generally made as a sweet stout. I guess anything between 20 and 30 would service.

OP - maybe aim for 25 and see how you like that?

I definitely want the malt to shine in this one. A winter warmer.
As far as a single hop addition, BeerSmith is giving me 23 IBU with 60g of Fuggles at 40 min.
That sounds nice.

Thanks for the input. Most appreciated.

Latest posts

Back