Looking For A New Brew - Recipe Suggestion?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caelum

Reaction score
Right, well my CMC is now drinking nicely, and the chilli adaption i made from it is fantastic(ended up putting 4ml of my chilli-vodka mix in per PET bottle, and the balance is PERFECT).

However, i need to put down a new brew, and have the following ingredients available to me:

Coopers 1.7kg LLME
1kg LDME
1kg DDME
any amount of dex
25gr tettnang hop pellets

Various coopers kits, real ale, lager, eurolager, aussie pale ale, stout, etc etc - but want to make a brew with something with a little body to it. Something a step up above standard kits..

I've also got some 4L and 5L demijohns i can brew in, as well as standard size fermenters, so wouldn't mind doing some smaller 'experiment' brews in those smaller fermenters also.

If need be, i'll expedite my order of other brewstuffs too, was going to grabs some carapils and caraaroma, along with some fuggles, amarillo, and saaz hops.

Thoughts/suggestions?

I wouldn't mind a nice irish ale for winter.... :)

I currently have a Thomas Coopers IPA in it's 3rd week of primary (fermenting at 18 degC so extra time to make sure FG is stable). The sample tastes while measuring FG have been lovely and its got a beautiful reddish tinge. It will be bottle aged and ready in Jun/Jul and will be a nice winter warmer. I only used the directed amounts of fermentables but there is a recipe on the Coopers website for a supercharged version (6% abv?). It has also got great reviews on the HBK review site which is why I am trying it.

Recipe I used was as follows

1 x TC IPA Kit
500g LDME
500g Dex
1 x cascade finishing hops (I assume you can use whatever you have though)
Kit Yeast (from all reports Fermentis S-33 or equiv, can handle higher ABV)

Cheers

Right, well my CMC is now drinking nicely, and the chilli adaption i made from it is fantastic(ended up putting 4ml of my chilli-vodka mix in per PET bottle, and the balance is PERFECT).

However, i need to put down a new brew, and have the following ingredients available to me:

Coopers 1.7kg LLME
1kg LDME
1kg DDME
any amount of dex
25gr tettnang hop pellets

Various coopers kits, real ale, lager, eurolager, aussie pale ale, stout, etc etc - but want to make a brew with something with a little body to it. Something a step up above standard kits..

I've also got some 4L and 5L demijohns i can brew in, as well as standard size fermenters, so wouldn't mind doing some smaller 'experiment' brews in those smaller fermenters also.

If need be, i'll expedite my order of other brewstuffs too, was going to grabs some carapils and caraaroma, along with some fuggles, amarillo, and saaz hops.

Thoughts/suggestions?

I wouldn't mind a nice irish ale for winter.... :)

Tettnang is one of my favourite hops but I wouldn't use it in a malty English or Irish style. If you want an IRA, get some crystal and some roast barley and a nice liquid yeast like 1084. Use the tett with a lager kit or even the aussie pale.

Should only need around 50g of the roast barley to help with a red colour, crystal for sweetness and the real ale kit with some pale DME. Fuggles hops and a 30-60 minute boil for some extra bitterness to balance out the maltiness. Otherwise you could make a lovely stout or porter with the real ale kit, pale DME, some dark DME and 2-500g roast barley, touch of crystal and some choc malt. If making a dry stout or a foreign extra you could make the hopping schedule a bit higher (again fuggles is a good choice).

Yeah, was planning to use fuggles with the english/irish beers, rather than the tettnang.

Back