Linux Temp Logging Program On Windoze?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jez

Reaction score
Hi,

Is there an emulator or somesuch which will allow me to run the linux temp logging "tar" file from the "Gregs temp controlled fridge" page on a Windoze NT PC? While I have heard it is possible to run 2 operating systems on the same PC it sounds difficult.

I know bugger all about programing, coding etc and while Bagnol's prog looks great it does more than I need. I'm not looking to trigger relays, I just want to log temps in a graph so I can see them over time.

As such I really like how Greg's graph has the time & date on the horizontal axis so you can see when any spikes happen.

So is Linux in a Windows environment a no-goer? If this is the case has someone written their own graphical temp logging program that they don't mind sharing :)

PS - I'm using the ozitronics K145 temp sensing kit

Thanks

Jez

If your using the ozitronics k145 you can grab some software for windows from here, http://quozl.netrek.org/ts/#software you can then use excel to read the CSV (explained here http://www.creativyst.com/Doc/Articles/CSV/CSV01.htm) log file. You should be able to graph it from there. I've been looking into one of these kits myself which is how i stumbled upon that software page so i look forard to hearing how you go with it.
Hope that helped
Brendan

Yes you can. Google for VMware player.

Once you hit the site you should be able to download VMware player for free then find a linux disk image. Something like Ubuntu should be good.

Using VMware player you can boot that linux image under windoze. Linux software should have access to your Serial & Parallel ports, but I haven't tried myself.

thanks guys. I'll let you know how I go.

PS - the kit itself seems to work great & wasn't that tough to solder together, even for someone like me...

Jez,

You could also try Cygwin (http://www.cygwin.com/). It's a small linux/unix emulator for Windows. I'd be pretty confident the program you're trying to run would work under it. VMWare would probably work as well, but it's a much bigger download (as well as downloading a linux distribution) and is probably overkill for what you're trying to do.

Hi Jez

My windows based program for this kit is draws heavily from the code of Greg's FreeBSD program. It has the ability to control the oztronics relay board, but this ablility can be deactivated by unticking the heating and cooling boxes in the options dialog. You don't need to have the relay board for this program to run. The temperatures from all sensors should still be logged to your specified log file at your specified interval.

However, although my program has the ability to chart this information, it doesn't do so very efficiently (eg. If you have a week's worth of data, it may take 20 seconds or more to chart). If I have a large logfile, I use excel to chart it for me.

Cheers
Bagnol

Latest posts

Back