Leffe Blonde Clone - The Move To A Semi-decent Homebrew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Manticle, prior to lagering do I need to rack to a secondary fermenter, or do I just shove the primary in to the fridge when fermentation is finished?

By lagering, I mean ageing/maturing cold in bulk, so prior to bottling.

However if already bottled AND carbonated to the level you want them, you will get a similar effect by fridging them. Wait until carbonated before fridging though if they are not already.

When lagering in bulk, you then rack to bottles or kegs and leave behind a lot of the crap that drops during the process. If you bottle, then lager you take that crap with you to the bottles. If pouring carefully etc you will still leave a lot of it behind so don't sweat.

I find bulk maturation is better in general.

You can do either.

I used to rack.

Now I just put primary in the fridge.

Racking will help leave sediment behind but if you rack to bulk prime you will accomplish this and I assume if you rack to a keg, you will also accomplish this.

My vote for primary in fridge, based on recent experience.

Thanks Manticle. I've only ever racked once, however the (K&K) beer ended up tasting funny, presumably because I introduced infection during the transfer. I'll go with you and just pop the primary in the fridge. Cheers!

You can do either.

I used to rack.

Now I just put primary in the fridge.

Racking will help leave sediment behind but if you rack to bulk prime you will accomplish this and I assume if you rack to a keg, you will also accomplish this.

My vote for primary in fridge, based on recent experience.

Stoked with how this one turned out.

Going to have to force myself not to drink them too young :) .

So smooth for a 7.3% beer.. too drinkable.. haha. Doesn't taste hot at all.

Leffeblonde.jpg

Back