Leaky Co2 Setup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find the practice of carbonating thru the beer post an excellent way to go ... I don't get over carbonating issues like I do with force carbonating sometimes because I leave the gas regulator alone and beer is carbonated usually 2 days quicker than normal. All my JG fittings are MFL so I simply unscrew the grey one and swap it for a black one and attach it to the beer out post. Gas goes in through the dip tube and bubbles up through the solution and absorbs quicker. Simple!

Not having a go at you here Molly but were do you think those bubbles are going? I have found little difference carbonating this way, I'm really surprised you can save two days.
I was under the impression the larger the surface area the more C02 was absorbed.

Back on topic, JG fitting do not leak if installed correctly.

Batz

I don't find john guest fittings as reliable as barbs.
I would be looking at your practice of carbonating through the beer post as well.
Confusing, and not necessary imho.

That said, you should be able to find leaks with soapy water.
I have found that you need to be precise with JG fittings, make sure that the cuts a square and it also helps to put the cut ends of the gas line in a pencil sharpener to get rid of any burrs.
Any kinks or bends near to where the line goes into the fitting can cause issues and make sure that you have seated them all they way home...drivre in as far as possible
JG fitting can be great but you need to be careful. Sometime they don't seat as well or as deep as is necessary to get a CO2 proof seal

Cheers
Chris

molly put the whole system under more pressure.
turn gas up to 250 kp.
then with a small paint brush do every join and connection with soapy water, lots of it. look really closely at every joint and also do the full length of all your gas hoses as well. also paint the soapy water around the gas bottle tap and valve, gauges as well. after you locate the leak turn gas back to original setting and burp your kegs.
cheers fergi hamley bridge

Latest posts

Back