Lead In Brass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's lead in free machining steel too. Just makes it easier to turn on the lathe. If you want to find out about the chemicals that are being created in the vinegar solution, like the green copper acetate go to www.chemsupply.com.au/msds.php#.
Here is the extensive list of chemicals they sell and the MSDS's (material safety data sheets) to go with them.
I would be more worried about the amount of zinc going into solution, as it is far more reactive than lead or most other common metals (apart from magnesium) in an acidic environment. Surrounded by the more noble metals of lead & copper, zinc is the first metal to dissolve in a corrosive environment. That's why ships use sacrificial anodes of zinc on the outside & inside of the hull. And galvanised iron doesn't rust on the cut edges because of the large surface area of zinc to the small surface area of iron. The zinc is corroding very thinly all over the galvo to save the iron from rusting. Most zinc powders are white, so aren't as noticable as the green of copper.
A good thing about brass is that it removes sulphur from beer & wine. Now wineries (& breweies) have gone to S/steel, they have to remove the sulphur another way. The brass surface goes black as it converts the sulphur as copper sulphide.
Typing this is thirsty work, so I'll finish here & have a beer. Cheers. :beerbang:

Sean said:
delboy said:
well i thought i would resurect this old arguement about brass.

I have just learnt that there are 2 grades of brass

(INDUSTRIAL BRASS AND D.R. BRASS)

Industrial brass contains lead and d.r brass is lead free. if it has DR stamped on the fitting it is lead free this is used in all water fitting brass .

not sure about yank stuff (brass) or cheap asian (brass) but ausie made and N.Z made brass and Britsh has the same 2 .
so there you go brass is ok when it comes to beer making as long as it is the lead free stuff .MARKED AS (D.R) or all water grade brass

DELBOY :beer:
[post="123658"][/post]​
Do you have a source for this information, because I don't believe it is correct.

As http://svc025.wic010v.server-web.com/DataS...Brass%20352.pdf
says, DR brass has around 3% lead
See also the link given in an earlier post.

DR is Dezincification resistant, not lead free.
[post="123668"][/post]​

Geez. If the lead dont kill you, then the arsenic will sure as hell get the job done. :p

vl.

yo fish,aint a problem.a bit of green is good for ya,just ask miss piggy. :p (could,nt help myself)

Latest posts

Back