Last bag of Citra: no chill SMASH

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shacked

I like beer
Reaction score
To my surprise, I found a 100g bag of Citra right at the back of the freezer and want to brew something with it that had a big Citra hit.

I've got enough Vienna or Voyager Veloria malt to make a 1.052-ish wort (BIAB), so I was thinking of doing a SMASH with one or the other and putting 50g of the Citra in at flame out for 26 IBU (no chill) and the other 50g in dry; and fermenting with some second generation 001 I've got in the fridge. On the mash, I was just going to do a 60 min rest at 65C and a 10 min mash out.

Any thoughts on a better hop schedule, mash temp or one malt over the other?

I've done both Vienna & Veloria Citra sorta smash beers. Both were good but the Veloria came up trumps. I used 15 g of magnum at 60mins then 15g at 15 mins, 20g flame out & 20g DH. I like your 50 & 50 method. I might try that with Vic Secret as Citra so hard to get ATM.

Hey Shacked

I brewed a vienna / citra SMASH with US-05 a while back. IBUs were in the 30's if I remember correctly. I found it rather sweet and cloying (FG - 1010).

I have tried other all citra beers (although I haven't tried Zombie Dust) and I just don't think it's my bag to be honest. Citra with other hops on the other hand I have found to be great.

Kegged this yesterday and it's unreal. 65g of Citra split over 10, 5, flameout and cube for 33 IBU; 35g dry. All Veloria malt with WLP051.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1445719534.847195.jpg

Back