Lamotte Water Test - 29/8/2016

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fungrel

Reaction score
Planning on testing every other month, thought some may find it useful. Of particular mention is the amount of sodium in the water supply at the moment.

Ca+2 50
Mg+2 7
Na+ 50
Cl- 90
SO4-2 2
Alkalinity 60 (CaCO3)
pH 7

fungrel said:
Planning on testing every other month, thought some may find it useful. Of particular mention is the amount of sodium in the water supply at the moment.

Ca+2 50
Mg+2 7
Na+ 50
Cl- 90
SO4-2 2
Alkalinity 60 (CaCO3)
pH 7
How are you testing your water?

Mardoo said:
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/index.php?/topic/88683-LaMotte-BrewLab

I'd be inclined to use something like this every week for a couple years to get a sense of frequency of major fluctuations in the various measurements, seasonal and otherwise.
Brewlab Plus kit.

It equates to around $5 per test, which in my eyes is quite cheap. I'm using it as Mardoo would, every month or so just to get a sense of how our supply changes between seasons.

As for terrible accuracy, a lot of the tests in the kit are within a threshold of 10ppm which in my eyes more accurate than relying on the council's water supply.

Considering the differences between the last test and this one, ill be using it often. It was the difference between overloading and not overloading my water profile with sodium trying to build RA..

I'll test the results up here in case anyone would like to use them, no need to spend any money ;)

DrSmurto said:
An accuracy of 50ppm for sulfate is as good as dipping your finger in the water and guessing.

RA? Funny shit!
Sarcasm is noted but generally not helpful for anyone. Agreeing to disagree is different to just being a smartarse.

fungrel said:
Sarcasm is noted but generally not helpful for anyone. Agreeing to disagree is different to just being a smartarse.
No sarcasm from me. That is terrible accuracy.

RA is a made up homebrewing term.

Fair call.

All I am saying is that if i had to choose between water reports from council, and the Brewlab kit results, i would choose the kit. Others may not, that is their choice.

I posted the results so that others may like to interpret them, and because of their accuracy it may not be a true reflection of their own supply, but gives means to a comparison.

Which water source on the central coast is that from, Gosford or Wyong?

The annual reports are only that, I've moves to Rain Water for a clean base to add to when making water adjustments, also has a much lower starting pH.

Latest posts

Back