Lager Lag Time?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balconybrewer

Reaction score
hi all,

i have only completed a couple of lagers and i remember why, i put down a pilsner and marzen yesterday and am yet to see any signs of activity,

i am using s-189 and have it @ 15deg, planning to drop it to 12deg once it kicks off,

my question is how much lag time is deemed acceptable and do most let it kick of higher and then lower??

cheers

how much yeast and did you aerate?
2 sachets with proofing of yeast and aeration take about 24-36 hours.

Lager yeasts can be a bit scary when you used to ale yeasts that explode in a few hours.

I have had lag times of up to 3 days.

ITs probably doing its thing, you just cant see it yet, thats all.

Dont stress about it!

I like to re pitch a ton of saved slurry from a previous lager. IT gets going in 24 hrs at 10 deg then.

cheers

Rehydrated S189 pitched in unoxygenated wort @ 9C takes 18 - 20 Hrs here, if the wort is oxygenated it takes 24 hrs or longer. Yep you read right.

Screwy

sorry screwy, did i understand that correctly, i was under the impression oxygenated would fire quicker than unoxygenated?????

also how do we feel about the temps......

If the wort is oxygenated, the yeast hang about reproducing before getting down to business and making beer (and CO2) for us. You might want yeast growth - to get enough yeast cells there and/or to give you some ester production. Or you might not - if you have plenty of yeast to start with and don't want esters. That's what you want for a lager so I guess with dry lager yeast it might be best to pitch lots of it but not oxygenate.

sorry screwy, did i understand that correctly, i was under the impression oxygenated would fire quicker than unoxygenated?????

also how do we feel about the temps......

If you do a search you'll find some info from experiments I did last year oxygenating wort prior to pitching yeast. Oxygen levels used were around the 10 - 15ppm measured using a dissolved oxygen meter. Definitely beneficial to liquid yeasts but detrimental for dried.

Screwy

interesting screwy.
I pitch my proofed/rehydrated S-05 to my APA today.
As I poured it from the cube I splashed really well.
It still want oxygen as the airlock is sucking in.
No it is not temperature drop.
Should I leave it it aerate it?

I think I'll leave it but maybe it is different with ale yeasts? :huh:

Mods, can this thread be retitled to Larger Lag Time? :p

Back