Lager Fermentation Temperatures

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What temperature do you ferment your Bohemian Lagers at?

• 7-8 Degrees C

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 8-9 Degrees C

• 9-10 Degrees C

• 10-11 Degrees C

• 11-12 Degrees C

• 12-13 Degrees C

• Total voters

marky_mark

Reaction score
Hey Brewers,

There is a lot of literature about fermenting lagers cool to minimise the number of esters and produce the characteristic clean crisp lager character that we all know and love.

At a deeper level though, does anyone know of any research that has investigated how other subtle flavour compounds are influenced by fermentation temperature?

For example: each lager yeast has its optimum maximum and minimum fermentation temperatures, but how will hop character be influenced by the temperature of primary fermentation?? Will higher temperatures encourage hop accentuating esters? ... or will the resulting more vigarous fermentation drive off those subtle hop characters?

The bottom line is that in some lagers, like czech pilsners, we are trying to get a consistently large amount of hop flavour and hop aroma. This is a task easily achieved in an APA but in a clean lager it is substantially more ellusive.

Does anyone have any experience that may shed some light on the matter?

Regards,

Mark

I'm no biochemist, but my understanding is that the hop character isn't affected by fermentation at all. The yeast chow down on the sugars, and produce volatiles in the process - cooler fermentation produces less volatiles from the yeast, but I don't think any of this has any direct effect on hop character (other than potentially masking it).

I guess you could ask whether cooler temperatures preserve hop flavours and aromas best, or whether a warmer (and therefore faster) fermentation preserves more character, but I don't think there would be an awful lot in it.

Lets have a look at some empircal evidence... What temperatures do people ferment their bohemian lagers at??

--Vote Now--

Cheers,

Mark

Although I voted for 12 deg, next time I will definitely be trying for a couple of degrees cooler, maybe 10. I want to find the point where the yeast activity drops right off, and aim just above that.

cheers, BB

i'm pretty sure i saw a spanish lager boasting a 3 month fermentation at 8C.
but i've got a shocking memory for numbers.

Back