Lager and Ale ferment together ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abyss

Reaction score
G'day Brewers
I just mixed up two batches of Blue Mountains Lager which was going to be fermented at 12c. With Morgan's Premium Lager yeast, washed.

But I accidentally chucked ale yeast in one fermenter.

What temp should I set my fridge at as they have to go in together ?

Thanks Pratty.
I am planning on fermenting for around three weeks and chilling to 2c for a week.

The majority of ester production occurs in earlier (more vigorous) stages of fermentation, so if you set it to ~13C for 4-5 days and then ramped up to 18C for the remainder of the ferment, you ought to minimise off flavours in your lager while allowing your ale to ferment out fully. abyss is on the money too at 15C, that ought to be fine if you don't want to dick about with temp changes.

mtb said:
The majority of ester production occurs in earlier (more vigorous) stages of fermentation, so if you set it to ~13C for 4-5 days and then ramped up to 18C for the remainder of the ferment, you ought to minimise off flavours in your lager while allowing your ale to ferment out fully. abyss is on the money too at 15C, that ought to be fine if you don't want to dick about with temp changes.
I agree with this. My son has done this way.

I ended up leaving both brews at 15 deg and crashing to 2 deg. The ale keg is nearly done and enjoyed by all.
Haven't tried the lager yet.

image.jpg

Back