Labour Policy On Old Cars

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hitman

Reaction score
G'day,

I am under the assumption that, regardless of who wins, that today was the beginning of the end for some of the great old cars on our roads.

Living in the West, with fairly loose rules in terms of what you can rego, we are used to commuting in old bangers if need be.

The 'youngest' vehicle I have ever owned is my current one a 1984 diesel hilux, a vehicle that no doubt would be targeted to be eradicated in the near future based on emissions alone :)

I don't like this, is there support?

Obviously vintage vehicles (I also own a 74 Kingswood) would continue to operate for recreational purposes, but in what capacity?

Does anyone else get the feeling that in 10 - 15 years we will all be driving big white sleeping pills? a.k.a The Camry.

Thoughts

Assuming, given the context of the changes, that we accept that vehicle emissions need to be addressed (and since this hasn't been raised in your original complaint I only assume that we do) I'll ask you this question: how do our 1984 diesel Hiluxs even come close to being a concern in regard to the bigger picture?

Having said that, I'm not all over the policy details and we're probably talking about some scaremongering bullshit that is going to effect hardly any of us.

The policy of getting rid of older cars and replacing with newer cars is a crock of bovine excrement. It does nothing for pollution or reducing emissions on a global basis. It also wastes another predicted $400 million of our tax dollars, most of it to be exported off shore for imports, or to the real foreign owners of the supposed Aus car manufacturers. How can this possibly "move us forward"?

The additional CO emitted by older cars is more than negated by the carbon footprint from manufacturing the replacement new car.

I belive that QLD is forceing older cars off the roads with higher rego based on age of motor and emmisions. Its not been announced as such but its slowly comming in to effect..

I wont be giving up my old landcrusier any time soon though...

cheers

I own 2 cars, my pride & joy V8 Commodore, and a piece of shit 93' Lancer. If they wanna give me 2 grand for the Lancer I'll take it, wouldn't get more than $100 if I tried to sell it

watch the prices go up for those type of cars..and least with the old clunkers we can fix them cheaply..1984 astra

I have a fully resto'd Morry 1000 ute... be damned if i am ever going to give that up.... and its emissions would be neglegable as it runs on the sniff of an oily rag... gets better than 40Mpg

watch the prices go up for those type of cars..and least with the old clunkers we can fix them cheaply..1984 astra

This is just one of the unintended consequences of such a policy. It will potentially have the same effect on prices in the late model, second-hand car market that the First Home Buyers Grant had on prices in the property market. Price inflation will be almost immediate upon implementation of the policy.

That's what I was thinking. Might be fast-tracking the cheap second family car just in case.

I'm just waiting for my Excel to become a sleeper-classic. It's on it's way for sure.

now that ute has class.
i saw a fully restored morri panelvan when passing through port augusta last week...it looked fantastic..cheers.....spog.....
I have a fully resto'd Morry 1000 ute... be damned if i am ever going to give that up.... and its emissions would be neglegable as it runs on the sniff of an oily rag... gets better than 40Mpg

This debate on pollution and older cars has raised several issues. Are you aware that the EPA in the US has forced Alternator manufacturers to modify modern Alternators so that the Regulator in the Alternator is controlled by the EFI computer that runs the engine. The reasoning behind this is that when the engine is at idle the output from the Alternator is turned off and less fuel is burnt so there is less pollution. The car manufacturers have done this by electronically encoding the communication between the Alternator and the Regulator. This also precludes buying a second hand unit from a wrecker. Replacement Regulators are not available and the customer has no option but to purchase a new Alternator in the case of a 2005 Subaru Forrester at a cost of $1830.00. Apart from the dollar cost the resources and energy used in manufacturing a new unit instead of repairing the old one would surely mean an increase in world pollution.
Cheers Altstart

I have personally seen the enourmous difference the strict emissions controls imposed on cars in California (Los Angeles in particular) are making. You can all talk your talk about about new production creating a greater amount of pollution but it is a really weak point (that can't be verified anyway). This pollution is not made in the same place (and generally at the same time) as everyone else's pollution and this makes a massive difference. In even the last 3 years I have noticed a visible reduction in smog levels in LA - it is almost to the point where I am almost ready to say it is no worse than here in Melbourne. Although we're getting visibly worse so I doubt it'll take long. I frankly don't care what controls they put in place as long as they work.

And I did eventually look into the policy and am confused as to why anyone thinks the government is coming for their clapped out heap of shit.

I have personally seen the enourmous difference the strict emissions controls imposed on cars in California (Los Angeles in particular) are making. You can all talk your talk about about new production creating a greater amount of pollution but it is a really weak point (that can't be verified anyway). This pollution is not made in the same place (and generally at the same time) as everyone else's pollution and this makes a massive difference. In even the last 3 years I have noticed a visible reduction in smog levels in LA - it is almost to the point where I am almost ready to say it is no worse than here in Melbourne. Although we're getting visibly worse so I doubt it'll take long. I frankly don't care what controls they put in place as long as they work.

And I did eventually look into the policy and am confused as to why anyone thinks the government is coming for their clapped out heap of shit.

The point I was making in my post was that new Regulators are being withheld from sale to force sales of new Alternators. I have no problem with emissions being controlled in fact I agree completely with the end result of this legislation less pollution.
Cheers Altstart

I have personally seen the enourmous difference the strict emissions controls imposed on cars in California (Los Angeles in particular) are making...

... In even the last 3 years I have noticed a visible reduction in smog levels in LA - it is almost to the point where I am almost ready to say it is no worse than here in Melbourne...

I'd hate to have seen LA before it improved...

P7252998.JPG

I don't mind the sentiment of emissions controls. Climate change aside, it'd be handy if we can breathe properly in 50 years.

My drive-to-the station car is a 20 year old Daihatsu Charade 3cyl. It doesn't blow smoke, runs fine on E10 and gets better fuel economy than a Prius wankmobile. Because this car has prevented two or three other cars being manufactured over the last 20 years I reckon it has more than paid for any carbon footprint. The shape an appearance isn't all that old fashioned and I reckon nearly every one ever made is still on the roads barring crashes.

charade.jpg

I think there should be a return to basic no aircon no power steering etc light vehicles just for running around in. Even with a 990cc engine it has equivalent performance to many a 2L vehicle and I love to drag off SUV smoke belching contraptions at the traffic lights where they attempt to sneak past my heap o shyte, and I leave them for dead. hahahaha

Back