Label Making

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to use the Avery Lables and run them through the colour printer at work.
The resut was fine but they are a bugger to get off.

I now use the clear packing tape the office supplies for sealing boxes when we move around on the floor.

I write on it with a black Artline series 70 marker (permanent marker). It's water proof and when finished the tape pulls off and leaves no residue.

One roll of tape seems to last forever. And work supplies the tape and the pens. A Very cheap solution.

P.S Works for labeling food containers in the freezer too.

BOG

I now use the clear packing tape the office supplies for sealing boxes when we move around on the floor.

I write on it with a black Artline series 70 marker (permanent marker). It's water proof and when finished the tape pulls off and leaves no residue.

Thats good to know, that tape is pretty wide, so would be easy to use over printed labels, would make them resistant to moisture, and come off without leaving marks, would just have to play around to get the right size.

I use Avery labels in an el-cheapo colour bubblejet. Paper stuck on with glue will probably be just as good, and cheaper.

Spend some time making your labels up in a combo of a graphics app (Gimp is free) and word (not too expensive for non-commercial use), and you should be able to get something looking pretty good.

If you're worried about the ink running with condensation, let the ink cure (Give it a day or two) before you put them on the bottles. It'll still run if you dunk it in water, but mine stay pretty good with normal wear and tear. If you want to go the extra mile, you could try contact (expensive), or perhaps a spray-on sealer of some sort.

Gimp is great, I use it all the time. I'm in the process of starting a screen printing business and use it for almost all my art work, another free program that is good is Inkscape. I made a few labels last night, nothing fancy, but only took a couple of minutes each. You can do some really cool stuff with those programs.

I get my labels printed at a local printer for about $2-3 a sheet approx 6-8 labels per sheet. Just remember you want to have your artwork at 300dpi minimum as this will print nice and sharp.

Franko

For those who want to get right into label making I recommend the following programs:

Adobe Photoshop
Adobe Illustrator

Franko

For those who want to get right into label making I recommend the following programs:

Adobe Photoshop
Adobe Illustrator

Franko
I second that!!
We have both and i made my Logo from scratch with them.. ( well illustrator mostly)
Mrs Sqyre has been using both for ages now and often does custom Signatures for the girls in her mothers group..
You could say shes the "Franko" of the Mothers forum.. :p

Sqyre..

I use this method for labeling my kegs. I go for long lag times, transport them to medevil recreation events and found them to be the best way of identifing whats in the keg. Label looks good, easy to read and best of all peals strate off. I know this is on kegs but I am gussing this works on bottle just as well.

I use inch round stickers won from ebay. You can make your own design, easily changable with each different brew etc.
I don't need to worry about peeling the label off the bottle as into the bin it goes with the top.

extra uses of making smiley faces for kids etc :)

Another thumbs up for the mono-laser and UHU glue stick.
Laser prints won't bleed in the esky.
UHU glued labels are easy to get off and leave minimal residue that will wipe off - unlike self adhesives.
But not so easy they fall off on their own or in the esky - unlike milk/egg.

Most public libraries have a colour photocopier now.
Print out a matrix of labels in colour with your bubble-jet, then get a load of copies done = esky-waterproof colour labels.

Used to religiously label my brews, going to great lengths to make them and print them, and cut them out, then the old UHU glue etc etc.

Then I learned the fine art of the Permanent Marker and a steady hand to write the required information and date on the bottle cap.

Still have my templates etc so maybe one day soon I'll find the label religion again......

Brownie

I'm currently storing 3 bottles of every batch i make for a mOktoberfest, because they dont come in contact with water i just use an avery label (1.5cm tall, 3cm wide) and write the vitals (alc %, batch number, type and any additives) onto the label with a biro.

None have come off yet but i imagine a soak in water would make short work of them.

Latest posts

Back