kosciuzsko pale ale taste-a-like

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
carniebrew said:
You're not gonna taste 12 grams of PoR hops in a 60 minute boil are you? If you want PoR in the flavour, add some late as well.
So the only difference between one hop and another at 60 min is the alpha acids imparted by weight?

Brew more.

That goes for everyone - BREW MORE!

fletcher said:
was gonna trade them out for super alpha from yumbeer's recommendation. increase the 60 mins and lessen the 10 mins?
Do you want Pride of Ringwood to make any real contribution to the flavour? If not, keep it as the bittering hop or sub it for whatever you prefer. If you do want some PoR aroma/flavour, add some late.

GalBrew said:
Yeah, don't flavor with PoR if you want it to taste anything remotely close.....
Define "remotely". I'm not about to tell people it's a hop I love but the times I've had this beer it always pissed me off that it is pretty much at the easy-going end of the standard Australia pub-fare with a little fruitness on top. POR could totally make a comparable beer.

[EDIT: cannot spell the name of country in which I was born]

Hey fletcher, how did this end up going?
I didn't get round to ordering any grain lately, and I'm still thinking about making this when i do

hey mate, am hoping to do this this coming weekend if not the next. I'll happily PM you when I do if you're keen

soon as I put this down I'll let you know. obviously wont be able to give a proper taste til it's about to be bottled etc so up to you guys. either or, ill update this post once I've put it down and then update regularly on here and my blog once I've started the ferment. www.sexyfuntimebrewing.weebly.com

bum said:
Define "remotely". I'm not about to tell people it's a hop I love but the times I've had this beer it always pissed me off that it is pretty much at the easy-going end of the standard Australia pub-fare with a little fruitness on top. POR could totally make a comparable beer.

[EDIT: cannot spell the name of country in which I was born]
All I'm saying is that when I drink this beer PoR is not what comes to mind. Not ragging on PoR, I use it now and then but not in this beer.

yeah at yumbeer's recommendation I'm gonna change the POR to Super Alpha and see how I go from there. should be able to try and get a small experiment batch of this brewed this coming weekend.

I made the following recipe about a month ago. I didn't realise i'd made a pretty good Kosciuzsko Pale Ale clone until I tried one while i was out a week ago. This recipe is based on what I had on hand but i reckon it's ended up being a pretty close clone. It's very drinkable...in fact it's nearly all gone so I reckon I'll make another soon. I BIAB and no-chill.

Ale Maris Otter 0.9kg
Ale Malt 4kg

Pride of Ringwood (9.7%AA) 25g @45
Summer Saaz (6.3%AA) 25g @15
Galaxy (14.1%AA) 12g @Dry hop

US-05
EBC 11, IBU 35
Vol = 23L

I wouldn't be adding POR for flavour either, stick with galaxy or super alpha.

I might make mine with the POR still in
all my mates that drink Kosciusko PA are TED/Carlton Dry drinkers, so they won't even notice the difference
I'll probably store the keg warm outside of the fridge between drinking sessions for that authentic megaswill taste :D

One of my mates said the other day "Kosciuszko PA doesn't have that nasty aftertaste that all the other craft beers have"
My reply? "That's called flavour, dude"

I had this at a beer night with Chuck Hann fresh from the brewery. Given what he said when he introduced it and drinking it fresh and unfiltered. I would try 100% Aust Pils malt (BB?), bitter it to 20ibus with PoR, finished with Galaxy. For yeast I would try a Kolsch yeast as he was pushing it as a Euro Ale at the dinner.

i'm gonna attempt it hopefully this weekend, and i'll sub out the ale malt for pilsner. you don't think munich or wheat is in there at all? i'm quite new to homebrewing so can't exactly match tastes with names (of malts, yeasts, all hops) just yet.

the recipe i'm gonna use at this stage is the one on the previous page, subbing the POR with Super Alpha, and potentially the ale malt with Marris Otter or Pilsner. i don't really care if it's not exact; just keen to try it, so might just give it a bash and make improvements on it in future batches.

fletcher said:
i'm gonna attempt it hopefully this weekend, and i'll sub out the ale malt for pilsner. you don't think munich or wheat is in there at all? i'm quite new to homebrewing so can't exactly match tastes with names (of malts, yeasts, all hops) just yet.

the recipe i'm gonna use at this stage is the one on the previous page, subbing the POR with Super Alpha, and potentially the ale malt with Marris Otter or Pilsner. i don't really care if it's not exact; just keen to try it, so might just give it a bash and make improvements on it in future batches.
That's it Fletch.....even if it's not exact it's still going to make tasty fresh beer.

still haven't got around to making this one, even though i've made a lot of others since january. anyone had a shot? sp0rk maybe? sing out if so and let me know the recipe you tried as i'd be interested to know how it went :)

might get back on the case after my next brew is down, and will probably try with some other bittering hop.

Back