Kits N Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You spray your kids hands with starsan?

Is that safe?

Hope she doesn't stick them in her mouth or rub her eyes.

Erm.. Food grade no rinse sanitiser

at the propper dilution and can be drunk if desired, Charlie tallie from 5 star has done it to prove the point.

Dont fear the foam

I said to myself that once I started being able to make more good beer than bad beer, then I could justify buying a keg set up. That day has come (and judging from my last couple of batches, potentially gone) so I've now got a 4-keg 3-tap set up. It's great. Vastly prefer it to bottling, and through filtering beers are ready to drink as soon as dry hopping/cold condition is finished.

, and through filtering beers are ready to drink as soon as dry hopping/cold condition is finished.

thats why i dong keg, i thought about it a lot, when one of my mates got a keg and filter his beer has never been as good since.

give me my old bottle aged beer anyday.

Things like heat can accelerate these reactions. Light, especially UV is bad for hops and even brown bottles can be affected.

My bottles are certainly subject to heat in summer.

As for my priming - I bulk prime my beers with raw sugar that is dissolved in solution, boiled and added to my bottling fermenter. If I were only bottling a few, I reckon I would still dissolve the appropriate amount in boiling water and dose each bottle with a syringe.

I would never have considered using raw sugar for priming. I would have thought that being relatively unrefined that it would give a syrup or molasses flavour.

You can prime kegs with sugar (I think the correct dose is roughly half the amount used to prime the same batch of beer being bottled but please don't take my word - check). Maybe try sugar priming a keg and seeing if you get the same 'sweet' smell and taste once fully carbonated? Would be interesting to find out is thsi creates the difference you've noticed.

Once I get my stocks built back up I will try that and let you know.

thats why i dong keg, i thought about it a lot, when one of my mates got a keg and filter his beer has never been as good since.

give me my old bottle aged beer anyday.

Its his filter/ing not the keg.

Now if only someone came up with a true 1 vessel brew/serve system so I could drain out the trub/yeast etc and then just chuck it in the fridge and carbonate... maybe a keg shaped conical with an element inside and wider lid?

Now if only someone came up with a true 1 vessel brew/serve system so I could drain out the trub/yeast etc and then just chuck it in the fridge and carbonate... maybe a keg shaped conical with an element inside and wider lid?

The bottlo sells I vessel beer systems.

If making beer at home is purely a chore, I often wonder why people bother.

Its his filter/ing not the keg.

im not saying its bad its just a different taste nothing to do with the filter or the keg, i just prefer bottle aged beer.

tried a few different filters too

on a side note we primed a keg with dex one day no filtering and let it sit for 6 months was bloody great but you would need heaps of kegs to keep stocks up.

cheers: HBK

kind of like this gem piece of brewing equipment.

It's been discussed on this forum many times.....

http://www.williamswarn.com/

If making beer at home is purely a chore, I often wonder why people bother.
For the same reason that people keep making beer even though they are fermenting at 30+ deg in a shed in the middle of summer after underpitching their kit yeast and then bottling as soon as the airlock stops bubbling.

There is no way they are making a decent beer - they'd be better of buying VB, except the VB costs $35 for a slab, but their tin of Homebrand goop only cost them $5 (it was marked down because its out of date) and makes 2 slabs.

i use those can's of goop/extract.i add grain's and hop's use commerical yeast and have temperature control.and have had good replies from fellow brewers..there are brewer's on this site who have whom awards with the non all grain beer.My 2 Cents worth

You spray your kids hands with starsan?

Is that safe?

Hope she doesn't stick them in her mouth or rub her eyes.

Never had an adverse reaction to it before. I did ask one of the good people at Five Star Chemicals what affect it would have, and they basically assured me at such a low concentration it would be harmless to humans. I have also read that people have drank the stuff at this concentration to try and prove it :icon_vomit:

i use those can's of goop/extract.i add grain's and hop's use commerical yeast and have temperature control.and have had good replies from fellow brewers..there are brewer's on this site who have whom awards with the non all grain beer.My 2 Cents worth
Oh - i've got nothing against people who do kits and I know you can make fantastic beers from kits and bits. And on the flip side, an AG brewer who uses stale grain, ferments at 30 with 5g of out of date yeast isn't going to make good beer either.

I was really refering to the people that do home brew to make cheap beer - instead of doing home brew to make good beer (the two aren't mutually exclusive - but the 1st can definately be done without the 2nd).

isnt it the idea of this site to learn to make a better product regardless of what method we use.. :icon_offtopic:

isnt it the idea of this site to learn to make a better product regardless of what method we use.. :icon_offtopic:

Yep - so if we can just get coopers to replace the instructions on the tin with a reference to this site, all will be golden.

Latest posts

Back