Kettled Sour beers. Where do i start?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ph meter. I have one for various things but a decent one is pretty cheap on 'the bay'. Only if you want to be crucial on it otherwise i hear tasting is equally good.

I know next to nothing about what is a good one to buy, so I'm sticking with tasting at this point (although I would like to measure mash pH etc., could come in handy for looking after the pool too)!

I know next to nothing about what is a good one to buy, so I'm sticking with tasting at this point (although I would like to measure mash pH etc., could come in handy for looking after the pool too)!
Haha im learning too. There is plenty but if you just have a quick read you should the one that will suit you. I have a water proof one with an electrode and thermom in it. Reads what it is quuckly without assumption. Worth it if you want it for a few different uses

Good luck! It's a slippery slope. Make sure you taste relatively frequently, the sourness can get too much quite quickly.

when you guys ferment a sour do you use dedicated gear? I have a fresh wort kit berliner weisse fermenting at the moment and wondering if i should buy new racking gear and bottling bucket.

No need if its a kettle sour. Bugs should have been kille in the second boil.

Cheers Earle, i'll just make sure i do a thorough clean/sanitize.

So i just finished and put my brew into a cube to no chill.
Total time to get to a ph of 3.6 and a happy taste was 42hrs.
Ill be brewing this ASAP to see the results.
A few things ill note.
1. Timing. If you are going to sour be nearby. Although initially the first 24hrs was slow. With a change from a ph of 6 to 5. but the next 20hrs raced down to 3.6. So if you are brewing on sunday and want to sour it. If its left overnight or you have to go to work. You maybe in for a seriously sour beer in those final few hours. I overlooked this and yet another school night im up till 12.

2. Visual. Using probiotic capsules means i had a pure strain. A few pictures put up have cloudy, bubbly or foam surfaces. Mine did not in the slightest. Just looked like a normal wort. I stressed there was no activity. But my ph meter assured me otherwise. So if you are going to brew it without a meter dont stress. Stuff is happening in there.

20171020_150745.jpg

So its kegged. And it it Glorious! This is a brew i strongly recommend. It's actually quite simple yet so tasty.

Also want to say a huge thank you to all that helped and contributed. Truly appreciate your time and knowledge.

Nice work Trent! I did a kettle sour over the long weekend, mashed on Saturday and then boiled on the Tuesday. I used a pure strain as well and had no pellicle but taste did get sour over time.

Just put it on to ferment yesterday with a Brett trois so will be interesting to see how it comes up! Hopefully as well as yours!

Latest posts

Back