Kent Old Brown

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK guy's, this is what I'll be putting down possibly this weekend, if I don't get anything 'arranged' for me-

1x tin Morgan's Blue Mount. Lager
250gm (Weyermans) Cara aroma - steeped 30mins
100gm " " Carapils - steeped 30mins
500gm LDME
12gm Saaz pellets
Safale S-04

Thinking about 50gm roasted grain steeped as well ???

Would maltodex do anything for mouth feel/body, or does carapils do something similar, or am I completely off track?

23L @ 23-24 deg

What do you's reckon?

darrtoo

both cara pils and particularly caraaroma will easily give enough body so you can forget the (dreaded and nasty) maltodextrin. Be aware that caraaroma is fairly intense caramel....its my fav spec grain, some would say 250g is too much, but as long as its hopped accordingly to maintain balance, its fine. Don't know how much like kent this will be, though....but I haven't had it in 16 years, so the memory is foggy, so maybe input from someone more familiar with it would be good.

I dont want to open a can of worms, but there are different schools of thought on whether carapils can be steeped or has to be mashed, and I wouldnt personally add it steeped to a kit.

Thanks guy's for your input.

As I said at the start of this topic, I'm just getting started on partials, so I don't really know what all the grains can impart. So whether it's opening a can of worms or not, its a great learning experience, and just what I'm (and maybe others too) after - knowledge. Keep 'em coming.

Cheers :icon_cheers:
darrtoo

What are you doing on saturday mate

What are you doing on saturday mate
G'day Tony

Work 6-10 (at the bowlo), vote, then bbq for the young blokes footy team, with the very distinct possibility of a few refreshing ales.

Sunday, work 6-10, then free.

Why's that?

darrtoo

Still on tap at Hurstville RSL last I looked...

Indeed it is, I got to give it a run yesterday, still as enjoyable as ever, and only $3.50 a schooner too!!! Bliss. A few minutes from my front door too.

I tried to do a clone using a Nut Brown ale kit, with some extra dark malt, the result was a pleasant brown style, but not too like the Kent Old - Brown.

Cheerz Wabster

Awww i was going to do a brew on staurday arvo (this arvo) but not now.

you should come over and check out the AG process some time.

Will let you know when im brewing at a reasonable hour next

cheers

Back