Kegging. What do I need?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welly2

Reaction score
Hello all,

After having spent best part of 2 hours on a rather sweaty evening bottling almost 50 bottles, I've decided I'm done with bottling. Luckily I managed to pick up two Coca-Cola (pin lock?) kegs from a man locally for $90.

I have two kegs. What do I need to get started kegging? I have a fermenting fridge which I was planning on using to chill the kegs when I'm not fermenting. I might think about getting a second fridge specifically for the kegs.

What widgets, pipes, lines, gas bottles, taps etc. do I need as a bare minimum to get beer out of my kegs?

Thank you!

Here are my two kegs.

2015-09-05 18.04.05.jpg

I could be wrong but they look like ball lock fittings,

CO2 bottle, regulator, the correct gas in and beer out disconnects, beer/gas line, bronco tap (until you get permanent taps

if you get barbed disconnects you'll need stepless clips/clamps to hold the line on tight and a tool to tighten them (it's pretty much pincer type pliers).

Edited as they look like ball lock disconnects not pin lock (pin lock have small locking pins sticking out)

Do you know if the kegs hold pressure? might need to hook them up to someones setup and see if there are any leaks. could be worth giving them a fresh set of seals anyhow.
I'm gathering bits and pieces for a keg setup too.

You need a co2 gas bottle, a gas regulator, some kind of gas splitter to split the gas to 2 kegs, 10-12 meters of beer/gas line, quick disconnects (2 beer and 2 gas for 2 kegs) and taps. The cheap plastic picnic taps actually give a good pour as long as your beer lines are balanced and they are under $5 each. I used them for 6 months till i got some metal taps. Very easy to use.

From that angle hard to tell, but I also thought ball lock.

Beer minimum:

C02 cylinder (70-250)
Regulator (45-90)
Gas line (5)
Grey Ball lock Disconnect (5-20)

Black Beer Disconnect (5-20)
Beer line (5)
Bronco Tap.(5-20)

With regard to beer lines, in my setup I use 3m of beer line (you can cut it back if need be), and I use the PE type
5083a_3.jpg
like this for both beer and gas, 5mm ID. In my experience, I have never ever had a problem with hoses leaking or coming off the barbs on the disconnects or taps, so save your money and don't bother with the clamps and crimping tool IMO. Just heat the end in hot water and push it on tight. I wouldn't use the vinyl tubing.

+ 1 for a new set of seals and poppets whenever buying a second hand keg and giving the whole thing a real good clean,

Edit: i also like to change the pressure relief valve to

Cheers fellas. It seems they are ball locks based on some in depth research on google images. I assumed they'd be pin locks as my prior research showed coca cola kegs tend to use pin locks. I shall get a shopping list together from all your advice and go from there. Looking forward to kegging goodness!

Benn said:
Do you know if the kegs hold pressure? might need to hook them up to someones setup and see if there are any leaks. could be worth giving them a fresh set of seals anyhow.
I'm gathering bits and pieces for a keg setup too.
Good idea. I shall have to tap up some of the locals around here to help test them out. Are the seals where the gas in and beer out go or does the big centre plate thing need a seal of some kind too?

welly2 said:
"Are the seals where the gas in and beer out go or does the big centre plate thing need a seal of some kind too?"

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/KEG-REPLACEMENT-SEAL-KIT-WITH-POPPETS-HOME-BREW-BEER-KEGGING-BALL-PIN-LOCK-SET-/291541823662?hash=item43e13f30ae

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PezBvXpKiEI

I think your kegs are the "Race Track" style, you may need a different main O-ring for the lid? ...Actually, I just watched more of the clip and the dude reckons the Lid O-rings are all the same.
Enjoy, :beer:

Benn said:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/KEG-REPLACEMENT-SEAL-KIT-WITH-POPPETS-HOME-BREW-BEER-KEGGING-BALL-PIN-LOCK-SET-/291541823662?hash=item43e13f30ae

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PezBvXpKiEI

I think your kegs are the "Race Track" style, you may need a different main O-ring for the lid? ...Actually, I just watched more of the clip and the dude reckons the Lid O-rings are all the same.
Enjoy, :beer:
This is a useful video. I like how he says "ball locks". It sounds like he's saying something else.

I had on of those coke kegs, best I owned. Incredibly sturdy. The posts are different to the Cornelius type because they have a male thread, so much less common. The lid is also a different shape. The O-ring however is the same. The posts have flat rubber washers with a small ridge instead of O-rings so parts are harder to come by. I've replaced with a pair of nested O-rings from a kit though and this has worked fine.
Connor brew ware stocks anything you need I think.

Back