Kegging query

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrJez

Reaction score
When I first got my kegerator, I'm pretty sure I could turn the regulator up and watch a keg rise to desired psi quickly and smoothly. Now, it's really finnicky and sooo slow to raise.

If I go from say, 20-40psi we're talking about 1 minute to get there. Is there something wrong with my regulator? It's a 2 week old Keg king, not had it long at all. Tried it across all 3 outlets (I've used duotight 3-way t pieces to tee to each keg) and kegs by disconnecting all but the one keg I was carbing and all are the same

Finding if I turn the dial a tiny fraction either way up or down I hear gas run a little quicker for a second or so then slow before having to readjust that tiny bit. Intensifying the psi tends to go even slower or makes no difference to rise than a few turns less. Very finnicky

Diaphragm hammers in and out when nearing the off/regulator pressure setting

Also, if I unscrew the regulator handle completely the metal seat rattles around freely inside. Not sure if that's normal

Last edited:
If you turn it up to 40psi from 20 it should only take 10 seconds, is the gas bottle on full?

I'd say it's a fault with the regulator. I had a KegKing reg when I first got into kegging several years ago. It was fine for a while, but shit itself some time later. Cheap Chinese shit tends to do that.

Quality brands to keep in mind are Harris and Micromatic.

Yea man, she's full up. I sent a video to the supplier this morning. Said they've never seen anything like it. Got a return label on the email and they're shipping a new one out

Thanks for your reply

I'd say it's a fault with the regulator. I had a KegKing reg when I first got into kegging several years ago. It was fine for a while, but shit itself some time later. Cheap Chinese shit tends to do that.

Quality brands to keep in mind are Harris and Micromatic.

Cheers mate

And is it safe to use the pressure reloef on the regulator? Read somewhere you should never use it

And is it safe to use the pressure reloef on the regulator? Read somewhere you should never use it
Not sure what you mean by "is it safe to use"
The PRV (pressure relief )or PSV (pressure safety valve ) on your reg are a last line defense thing, if the diaphragm or needle /seat in the reg fails so you don't get full cylinder pressure into the system. This is backed up by the PRV/PSV on the keg that prevents the keg from bursting.
Neither of these should be used as part of the pressure regulating process. If for no other reason you will use a cylinder of gas in no time at all.

For purging I mean. Sorry, I should be more specific. I could also see myself using it to relieve 24hr 40psi fast carb kegs without opening the fridge door possibly

You would want to disconnect your gas line from the keg if you do purge the excess pressure. Otherwise the beer could travel back up to the regulator.

You would want to disconnect your gas line from the keg if you do purge the excess pressure. Otherwise the beer could travel back up to the regulator.

This I think is probably the reason for this entire post come to think of it.. Happened straight after I did this. Lesson learned. What a shame job :(

Latest posts

Back