Kegged & Filtered Apa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crusty

Reaction score
I haven't kegged for a couple of years & am trying to figure out why my beer today is not really clear.
I siphoned an APA last Tuesday to a keg, added 100kpa, burped it with three short bursts, took it off the gas & left it over night. The next morning, I transferred from keg to keg via filter & put it back on the gas @70kpa. It's been 6 days now & I thought I would sanitize my beer line & pour a couple of glasses. The beer is quite nicely carbonated but fairly unclear, almost like not being filtered at all. My bottled BIAB beers after the 6-8 week mark are very clear, not bright but very clear. I have left a glass sit @room temp & it's not chill haze so a little puzzled as to why it's not bright. It has only been 6 days so maybe it will settle out by week 2 which is about when my kegged beers have been at their best in the past. My filter cartridge has been in the freezer in a sealed bag for 12months so maybe it's rat shit, it looks in great condition though. Although the beer is a little unclear, it's tastes absolutely fantastic. I'm starting to think about not filtering at all.
Anyone have any thoughts?
ps. I use kopperfloc in the boil but no fining agents at all & this has been fine in the past.
My kegged beers have been crystal clear previously.
Cheers

What micron filter did you use? assuming 1micron absolute it certainly wont be yeast.

Did you use star san? Have read of other brewers having trouble with star san causing haze after using it to sanitise filter.

I think it sounds like permanent haze. Most likely caused by excess proteins and or polyphenols (tannins).
Can also be from inorganic metal ions in your water like excess iron.

Could well be the cartridge......My last one looked as pure as the driven snow but failed to filter properly. Got a new cartridge.....Bright beer.

What micron filter did you use? assuming 1micron absolute it certainly wont be yeast.

Did you use star san? Have read of other brewers having trouble with star san causing haze after using it to sanitise filter.

I think it sounds like permanent haze. Most likely caused by excess proteins and or polyphenols (tannins).
Can also be from inorganic metal ions in your water like excess iron.

1micron, absolute cartridge.
No starsan. Possibly excess proteins, single infusion, I don't think so though, it's never been a problem before.
I'm certain that tannins are not there, the beer taste fantastic, just not bright. Mash temp, mash out all spot on so temp causing tannins would not be the problem.

Could well be the cartridge......My last one looked as pure as the driven snow but failed to filter properly. Got a new cartridge.....Bright beer.

I'm leaning this way. I think my cartridge might be stuffed.

Cheers guys.

I popped into the water filter place today & spoke to the head honcho at the shop & he thinks the filter might be buggered. He suggested to soak it over night in Napisan to see if it improves. I thought I had a 1 micron absolute but it was actually 1 micron nominal. When I got home, I ran some water through it under pressure & the collected water is not crystal clear so the finger is pointing solely at the cartridge. I'll run another water test through it tomorrow & see if it's picked up.
If not, it's a new one.

This is the beer.
Although it's not clear, the carbonation is great & the beer taste fantastic. Lacing is good & pretty good head retention even though it has only been in the keg for 1 week today.
Maybe a new cartridge will fix it.

20120926_131855.jpg

20120926_132026.jpg

I'm also in the market for a new cartridge due to similar problems with mine (although mine looks visibly rooted - stained etc). clarence water filters looks like the cheapest option at about $50.

I'm also in the market for a new cartridge due to similar problems with mine (although mine looks visibly rooted - stained etc). clarence water filters looks like the cheapest option at about $50.

I was in there today.
$29.00 for the nominal & $49.00 for the absolute, both 1 micron.

Just be certain your filter was properly housed.... I've had cloudy beer come through a filter just from bypass. re-settle filter in housing and go again, clear as a bell. No need to by new filter.

or maybe its cactus.

Why in god's name did you have it in the freezer?

Was the beer coming out of the filter crystal clear?

Just be certain your filter was properly housed.... I've had cloudy beer come through a filter just from bypass. re-settle filter in housing and go again, clear as a bell. No need to by new filter.

or maybe its cactus.

Why in god's name did you have it in the freezer?

I got told to dry it, seal it in a bag & freeze it as it was going to be out of action for some time. It just so happens it was in the freezer for just over 12 months. The guy at the filter shop said it shouldn't of mattered & it should still be fine. I am soaking it in napisan at the moment & after a few hours, a yellow taint has come from the filter so it is holding something there. I changed the water & added more napisan & will leave it over night.
How do you store your cartridge?
It was housed correctly I'm sure.

Was the beer coming out of the filter crystal clear?

Not too sure Nick, I was filtering from keg to keg & it looked fine but never thought to collect some & see. I have filtered in the past on a pretty regular basis so assumed everything was going to plan. I think the 12 or so months in the freezer with that trapped debris may have done the damage. I can't remember if I soaked in napisan before I stored it.

I've heard of this storing it in the freezer thing before, too (don't do it myself, though). I guess the idea is to inhibit bacterial growth?

One concern I'd have is that any traces of moisture left in the cartridge as it freezes could expand/change shape as it crystallises, causing microscopic tears in the filter material.

I've heard of this storing it in the freezer thing before, too (don't do it myself, though). I guess the idea is to inhibit bacterial growth?

One concern I'd have is that any traces of moisture left in the cartridge as it freezes could expand/change shape as it crystallises, causing microscopic tears in the filter material.

Good point.
I made sure it was dry though so I'm pretty confident the cartridge is not damaged in that way. That pee coloured crap that came out in the first soak was a bit scary. Thankfully the beer is not tainted in any way whatsoever, it's fantastic. I don't really care that it's not bright as the taste is what's most important but I was aiming for clarity as well as the flavour.

Back