Keg Freezing Over

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike_capaldo

Reaction score
hi all,

i have a querie. i have a 19L keg of stout that froze over in my beer fridge. the keg has been gassed up a little. i think it should be fine to drink once thawed out and cooled down again, i just want to know what side affects, if any, this may have

thanks

Mike likes beer

i've had two of these and from my experince everything will be fine...the worst i've read that can happen is the alcohol freezes to the bottom of the keg with water on top, if you poured off the water you'd have a very nice strong stout!

Let it thaw, maybe give it a quick upside down, leave it, regas it and shell be apples. ;)

i think you would find that the water would freeze and the alcohol would remain liquid on the bottom :p

errr yea i promise thats what i meant, stupid beers confuising my shit. ;)

hi all,

i have a querie. i have a 19L keg of stout that froze over in my beer fridge. the keg has been gassed up a little. i think it should be fine to drink once thawed out and cooled down again, i just want to know what side affects, if any, this may have

thanks

Mike likes beer
I had a couple freeze up a few weeks ago and they came out with no taste difference, perhaps just a little cloudier.

Don't do what I did in disconnecting the keg and thinking that the tiny bit of ice that seems to be holding the beer out poppet down a little will defrost first and the poppet will jump back up. It didn't. I awoke to what looked like the remnants of a beer fountain that sprayed droplets of beer all over the garage. :blink:

It took me 3 hours to wipe everything down. :angry:

Hi,

I had this problem and then I bought a Fridge mate Temp controller from Mashmaster for $50. Works a treat so you will always pour your beer at the same temp and it will not freez.

Cheers

Just transfered my beer from the fermenter in to the cubes, (last night)

placed in the freezer over night, went to the freezer this morning, and i have turn my beer in to about 40l of beer slushy,

Freezer hasn't been on for months, so i figure it would take a while to chill,

so i assume the same apply's here, this shouldn't really cause any problems for the beer?

Latest posts

Back