keg float

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't get the attraction personally. I mean what happens when you get to the bottom of the keg? Sure you get murky dregs that you end up tipping out. But I do this with the first half a glass that I pour after a newly filled keg has initially sat cold for a few days.

Same as above. By the time the keg has sat for 2 weeks I pour nothing but clear beer, until it blows dry and drags up some muck but that is negligible anyway.

Phoney said:
I don't get the attraction personally. I mean what happens when you get to the bottom of the keg? Sure you get murky dregs that you end up tipping out. But I do this with the first half a glass that I pour after a newly filled keg has initially sat cold for a few days.
You cut the time it has to clear - not a big deal IMO for the majority of beers I brew.
However, they are great for using a corny or even a cube to dispense "cask conditioned real ales" with gravity.
With a corny on it's side and the tap at the bottom connected to the "in" post, the tubing with the float can be pushed onto the "in" dip tube. You will be pouring clear beer from above the settling yeast/finings - a great advantage if you are transporting the beer or can't wait 2 days for it to settle after transfer to the vessel.

Latest posts

Back