Keg Cleaning

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanokil

Reaction score
Quick question for the gurus what would you reccomended for cleaning kegs?

I'm no guru but I use oxyper for cleaning - available from Grain & Grape. Sodium Percarbonate by another name basically.

Oxyper Linky Dink

Sterilise after with what you see fit to get rid of residual nasties. Plenty here would use Starsan I'd think.
I actually just use boiled water rinse myself - and haven't had any issues - but most would swear by Starsan.

Hopper.

100% sodium percarbonate. If you can't get that then plain Napisan (NOT scented) will do the job. Napisan contains around 28% Sodium perc IIRC.
PBW is good too but more expensive.

TP

Wash out the keg with tap water.
Boil the Kettle.
Empty boiling water into the keg.
Seal it up and shake the shit out of it.
connect to beer out
pull the tap to clear out pickup tube and beer line (steam powered bitches!!).
drain and repeat.
Fill with new batch

Every 5th(ish) brew - fill with 1.5 caps of BabyCare Nappisan and hot tap water.
unscrew disconnects and drop into keg
drop lid into keg with seals off.
Soak overnight.
Drain Nappisan mix
Go to the first line in this post.

BF

Homebrand napisan and hot water soaking for 24-48 hours

rinse out with hot water, then spray a little starsan inside and give it a small shake. pop the lid back on and leave til you need to refill the keg

just empty out the old starsan when youre about to fill and youll be good to go

Sponge

EDIT: Plus as BF said above, run some hot water through the lines as well to clear the pickup tube and post

Rinse out first,then fill with warm water and sodium percarbonate leave for awhile the rinse out..when i am going to fill the keg with a couple of litres starsan seal keg,put a small charge of Co2 and give a good shake.then empty out.

Similar to above:
- rinse out with tap water
- add sodium Perc and hot water, shake, add a little CO2 and drain out through bronco (you need to clean the inside of the dip tube).
- rinse out with hot water, add a little CO2 and drain out through bronco.
- Spray with Starsan then either pressurize and store for use later or drain and fill with beer.

for me,

when empty leave till I need to fill or enough empty.
squirt of water and shake to get yeasty stuff etc.. from bottom.
Fill bath hot water, add sodium perc (or nappy san)
half fill each keg with hot water and some sodium perc
put submersible pump in both that has beer and gas dis-connects on the hose
attach the connects to keg,
turn on pump
and let it go for 20 + min
move connects to next keg.
Empty keg just down
good rinse with hat water (I fell the inside of keg till "slimy" feel has gone
add 5 ltrs hot water
add starsan
seal up give it a shake
if I remember I add co2
then when going to fill
shake keg
empty keg
squirt outside connects, lid with starsan
fill. with beer

I leave my keg sitting next to my keg fridge once empty until I need it. I've found leaving it sealed, under pressure, means that it doesn't get funky in there at all so cleaning is a breeze.

Generally rinse 2-3 times with a half bucket of hot water (throw some sodium percarb in there if there are any spots/marks that don't come off in the first rinse). Then I put a few litres of starsan solution in there, seal it up, and move it around a bit to ensure contact with all surfaces. Pump this through my filter from the beer out using CO2 which sanitises all necessary parts of the filling process. This way, I have an oxygen free, sanitised keg and filter ready to hook up to my fermenter with minimum fuss.

Wash out the keg with tap water.
Boil the Kettle.
Empty boiling water into the keg.
Seal it up and shake the shit out of it.
connect to beer out
pull the tap to clear out pickup tube and beer line (steam powered bitches!!).
drain and repeat.
Fill with new batch

Every 5th(ish) brew - fill with 1.5 caps of BabyCare Nappisan and hot tap water.
unscrew disconnects and drop into keg
drop lid into keg with seals off.
Soak overnight.
Drain Nappisan mix
Go to the first line in this post.

BF

Pretty much exactly the same her except I use 100% sod perc

Cheers

I leave mine under pressure until I need them. Then rinse with hot water. Half fill with hot water and invert it. Empty keg and spray with starsan before refilling.
No problems as yet.

How much gas would I waste if I've got it set at 10 psi hook up to keg and rinse say a litre of boiling water or solution through my lines and tap. Not enough to worry about. I've just connected my first keg to gas today and sprayed with soapy spray to find gas leaks. Found one replaced seal now all good. Hopefully I don't loose a bottle of gas.

Back