Keezer Kegerator /co2 Extinguisher Gas

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stumpy

Reaction score
Some help needed please guys. As much as we love our sweet sweet amber liquid we are having trouble justifing the extortion type prices we are paying for store beer. I have a chest freezer to convert and two 2.4kg extinguishers to use.

So my first question is

What is the cheapest way to turn the freezer into a fridge. Eg change thermostat to a fridge one or buy & fit Temp controller.

2nd question

Co2 extuinguisher as gas. Do I need to modify the extinguisher in any way. What is the difference between grades of Co2. & does it make a difference.

All feedback appreciated

Cheers
Stumpy

Hi Stumpy

Your best bet with the freezer is to install a temperature controller. This way you can set the temperature precisely to whatever you want (important!) and additionally you don't have to hack up your freezer to bits.

I'd comment on the extinguisher but i've had no experience, so sit tight - many people have used extinguishers here, so you're bound to get a response at some stage. In the mean time you can try using the search function to see if there are any guides.

I have a 5kg fire extinguisher which has had it's dip tube removed. If yours is untouched then it's a matter of turning it upside down so that the dip tube extends into gas space rather than the liquid.

There's a few different opinions on CO2 quality with most saying there isn't any problems.

Thanks for the imput guys. There are many posts on temp controllers so I will try to read up. As for the extinguisher its good to know about the dip tube removal. Is this so the extinguisher draws gas not liguid Co2.

Cheers
Stumpy

Thanks for the imput guys. There are many posts on temp controllers so I will try to read up. As for the extinguisher its good to know about the dip tube removal. Is this so the extinguisher draws gas not liguid Co2.

Cheers
Stumpy

Stumpy,

Handy home hint they dont like beeing stored in the fridge/freezer, there is an oring under the standard handle that will shrink and leak. Take it from someone who found out the hard way.

Cheers
Thorby

Stumpy,

Handy home hint they dont like beeing stored in the fridge/freezer, there is an oring under the standard handle that will shrink and leak. Take it from someone who found out the hard way.

Cheers
Thorby

Never knew about that Thorby. Have had mine in the keezer for the past 2 years without any issues. Could it be a particular type of extinguisher that has this problem? I know that aren't really made for turning them on and off - seals are good for a while but then they get ruined. I just push the trigger and leave it on.

Yep, an off the shelf extinguisher in use here, use it upside down with no issues. The larger model I use has the correct thread for the Regulator to screw on. If you have a smaller size, or a different type of thread, you may need an adaptor.

Click the link under my signature to see pics of mine in use.

Cheers

My extinguisher still has it's dip tube in and I use it vertical and have not had any worries. Also regarding extinguishers, some like to fasten the trigger but I don't do this I just give it an occassional squeeze when I think the pressure may have dropped too much. It's easy enough to keep the trigger fastened but I figure that there's no risk of a leak running out all my CO2 this way. Cheers

Back