K-97 Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lobo

Reaction score
hi all,

i have a koelsh, day 5 in primary, which had a og of 1053 and is now down to 1030, pitched at 21, brought down within 24hrs to 14deg, which smells very strongly of banana cake. anyone tell me why/what is or could be wrong? i have never used this yeast before, and this is my first koelsh.

cheers,

Lobo

Isnt K-97 a wheat yeast?

I have a pack and was going to make a Belgian Wit with it.

Never used it so not sure what to expect.

let us know how it turns out

Isnt K-97 a wheat yeast?

I have a pack and was going to make a Belgian Wit with it.

Never used it so not sure what to expect.

let us know how it turns out

NO, it's a German ale / wit yeast.
Not sure how guys are getting banana out of it, maybe fermenting too warm - I've got an Alt on tap at the moment made with K-97 @ 19c & it's one of the best Alts I've made....not a whiff of banana anywhere.

From the fermentis site:
"A German ale yeast selected for its ability to form a large firm head when fermenting. This top cropping ale yeast is suitable for top fermented beers with low esters levels and can be used for Belgian type wheat beers. Sedimentation: low. Final gravity: low."

Cheers Ross

thanks for the replys fellas,

i cant be brewing it too warm, it has bin at 14deg, except for the first 24hrs. will have to see how it turns out.

im out of beer atm, and wanna push this one along, is there any benifit using finings AND polyclar?

cheers, lobo

Belgian type wheat beers.

Thats what i meant :)...... i need to be more specific when i claim something dont i.

thanks for the info ross...... should go well in my Wit and might try it in an Alt to.

Cheers

I thought K-97 was a wheat yeast. From the ESB page...

[topic="0"]www.esbeer.com.au/category3_1.htm[/topic]

Safwheat Dried Yeast K-97

This yeast produces a slight amount of the banana and clove characteristics, some sulfur. It is a clean fermenting yeast producing a cloudy beer. Excellent top cropper.

I thought K-97 was a wheat yeast. From the ESB page...

[topic="0"]www.esbeer.com.au/category3_1.htm[/topic]

Safwheat Dried Yeast K-97

This yeast produces a slight amount of the banana and clove characteristics, some sulfur. It is a clean fermenting yeast producing a cloudy beer. Excellent top cropper.

Bollocks it is. This stuff has been flogged as a 'wheat' yeast (ie Weissbier/Hefeweizen) because there wasn't a genuine dry yeast for this style, and this was the nearest they could get -- and it's nowhere near it.

Now the brewing gods have given us two...hallowed be their names.

Bollocks it is. This stuff has been flogged as a 'wheat' yeast (ie Weissbier/Hefeweizen) because there wasn't a genuine dry yeast for this style, and this was the nearest they could get -- and it's nowhere near it.

Now the brewing gods have given us two...hallowed be their names.

Think you hit it in one there Geoffi ;)

cheers Ross

do you think it was a wrong choice for a koelsh? what is the usual dried yeast(if any) for a koelsh?

lobo

I'm using this yeast for the first time. I pitched it into a version of Carbrook Alt at Friday lunchtime. It appears to be a slow starter but has developed a reasonable krausen in 48+ hours, the temp is steady at 16 degrees. What I noticed this evening is a sweet grain aroma which reminded me of honey and wheat mixed together. Has anyone noticed this aroma when using this yeast ? After reading various posts about alts I am looking forward to hopping into this one. No pun intended.

do you think it was a wrong choice for a koelsh? what is the usual dried yeast(if any) for a koelsh?

lobo

To my limited knowledge there is no real dried yeast subtitute for a Kolsh.
Wyeast 2565 liquid will give you a true to style result.

I used K97 a little while ago in an Alt and while I found it fairly ordinary soon after fermentation it did improve to quite a good beer after a period in the secondary.
I fermented it at 19c with no "bananas" evident.

Cheers

my last go with k-97 was too warm and i had all sorts of funkyness (including banana) - couldn't drink the stuff and haven't been gaim to use it again... :p

Back