Just Planted Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefeffect

Reaction score
So stoked this has been in planning for a bit and it is done!! Hop trestle 3 metre high poles at 10 metres apart which will support 6 plants, each plant 2 metres apart minimum. From left Saaz, Perle, Hallertau, Goldings, Cascade, and Mt Hood.

Hops_008.jpg

Are the surrounding tree roots going to be an issue do you think? :unsure:

I have seen hop plants grow three storeys high being rooted in a 40cm deep pot, so I don't think the OP will have issues

Hope not <_< It was something I thought about, Its quite a large trestle and the trees are over 4 metres away, they are only wattle not gums, I have built up beds for the hops so should be ok, just have to wait and see. I will post pics when they have taken off..

Hopefully the wattles are tap rooting. If the ground where you planted was a bit bare of grass and dry looking might indicate a potential problem. Otherwise nice set up. :D

Hopefully the wattles are tap rooting. If the ground where you planted was a bit bare of grass and dry looking might indicate a potential problem. Otherwise nice set up. :D

Ahh yeah I had to mow 2 foot of grass before planting them so should be sweet, cheers!! :beer:

very nice set up...nice list of strains to.

I reckon you will be rewarded with many cones.

there will be some tasty beers coming out of them

Indeed that is a nice list of strains. Now I'm jealous. :eek:

You may find those wattle trees help to increase the foliage growth (belonging to the Pea family and fixing nitrogen to the soil) as long as you're watering your plants enough and giving them a little extra fert every now and then.

You may find those wattle trees help to increase the foliage growth (belonging to the Pea family and fixing nitrogen to the soil) as long as you're watering your plants enough and giving them a little extra fert every now and then.

Awsome just did a search on the acacia tree nitrogen fixing, never heard of that before. I've set up irrigation from our channel running off a auto timer which can water from 1 hour to about 12 and the start time can run from 1 hour intervals upto a week. I have not set the start times or length yet as its still abit wet still trying to decide how much to water them, I'm guessing an hour after sun set each day in mid summer? I have adjustable flow drippers attached which can pump between 1 and 15 litres an hour.

I've read that some of the noble hops don't like the heat too much. Chinook is one that likes hot dry climates somewhat. That said I'd still water it. If the weather is really hot you might want the drippers going on and off all day. B)

Awsome just did a search on the acacia tree nitrogen fixing, never heard of that before. I've set up irrigation from our channel running off a auto timer which can water from 1 hour to about 12 and the start time can run from 1 hour intervals upto a week. I have not set the start times or length yet as its still abit wet still trying to decide how much to water them, I'm guessing an hour after sun set each day in mid summer? I have adjustable flow drippers attached which can pump between 1 and 15 litres an hour.

Something like hops in a improved soil would need water 3-4 times a week in summer and about 20-25L per M2 per water. But if it gets over 35 degrees you'd want to double check and water it again anyway. Some say watering in the evening can encourage fungal problems with plants but there shouldn't be an issue with a drip system.

Back