Just Out Of Interest...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that 65c for soaking the grain? Or when you boil with the hops?

Ummm,well seeing as how its pretty hard to boil something at 65deg thats the temp you approx need for steeping grains.
65-70 will be fine.

You know you have to crack the grain first im hoping? Use a rolling pin, a rubber mallet or meat tenderiser with the grain in glad wrap if you dont have access to using a mill or getting your grain crushed by lhbs.

Ummm,well seeing as how its pretty hard to boil something at 65deg thats the temp you approx need for steeping grains.
65-70 will be fine.

You know you have to crack the grain first im hoping? Use a rolling pin, a rubber mallet or meat tenderiser with the grain in glad wrap if you dont have access to using a mill or getting your grain crushed by lhbs.

Oh right. (sorry) Didnt think about that. I'm guessing it's already been cracked by the LHBS, thats why I thought they look like little flowers ;)

Oh right. (sorry) Didnt think about that. I'm guessing it's already been cracked by the LHBS, thats why I thought they look like little flowers ;)

Cool man....just thought id check. Sounds like its cracked already.

My LHBS cant crack grain and only sells it by the 500g bag at a bargain price of $7.50 each. Seriously.

But then again.......he is a useless (insert generic insult here). :icon_cheers:

So how much pilsner grain do I actually need to steep for a 23 litre batch? The bag I picked up is 750gm but I have a feeling 100-200 would be fine?

So how much pilsner grain do I actually need to steep for a 23 litre batch? The bag I picked up is 750gm but I have a feeling 100-200 would be fine?

Scratch that! Rookie error again, it's actually 250gms in the bag so I'll use it all.

Is it pilsner or carapils grain?

Pilsner grain needs to be mashed, not steeped.

The process you undertake is almost identical and if you can keep it at 65 (or between 60 and 70) for 30-60 minutes, it won't matter BUT

Inside some grains there are starches that yeast can't eat. These need to be mashed, whereby the cracked grain is held at a certain temperature in solution to activate enzymes which will convert the starch to sugars (including maltose). The temperature range here is very important.

Inside other grains like crystal malts or chocolate malts, the enzymatic conversion has already taken place due to the malting process and any available sugar as well as colour and flavour can be accessed by soaking the cracked grain in water. This water can be of any temperature. Hot is good because it's quicker (like a cup of tea) and if you aim for 60-70, it is good practice for mashing but you will get what you need with water that's 10 degrees, 20 degrees or 70 degrees.

Any steeped or mashed liquor needs to be boiled as grain contains various bacteria, including lactobacillus which can infect your beer and make it taste sour.

Okay heres a new one for you guys, beers ticking away just fine although when I added the cascade hops bag I made two mistakes. First I didnt read the packet properly and added the bag which I had boiled with the grain for 5 mins in with the wort instead of adding it with the yeast last, secondly I let my missus stir the hell out of it when we added the sugar and she busted a hole in the bag which of course let all the pellets out. Will this just effect the clarity of the beer? Or does this have a bigger consequence?

Cheers!

No problem at all, i often if not always just throw the pellets in loose, usually about half way through the ferment though.

Is it usually a rule of thumb to leave ALL beers in fermentation for 2 weeks? I know I left my last Aussie Ale for 2 just wondering if I need to do the same for the Canadian Blonde or just bottle it when the readings are steady.

Cheers

Is it usually a rule of thumb to leave ALL beers in fermentation for 2 weeks? I know I left my last Aussie Ale for 2 just wondering if I need to do the same for the Canadian Blonde or just bottle it when the readings are steady.

Cheers

Steady reading for 3 days, then leave another week.

so 2 weeks fermenting and still bubbling away. Should I take a reading today or just let it ride out? -

Yours sincerely,

Paranoid Brew #1

so 2 weeks fermenting and still bubbling away. Should I take a reading today or just let it ride out? -

Yours sincerely,

Paranoid Brew #1

What temp is it sitting at?

I'd take a reading now and tonight / tomorrow

What temp is it sitting at?

I'd take a reading now and tonight / tomorrow

Yeah, Ill take one tonight then follow up tomorrow. Unlike you crazy cats I havent got any temp control fridge or cooler so its ben all over the place with the cold nights.. (anywhere from 16-20) Probs not good I know but hey what can you do. I imagine its the cold mornings that have slowed the yeast down?

Cheers mate.

Hey Saint roam, I've done a blonde before with BE2 and 500g of LDME and some hops, (cant remember which ones) and it turned out a treat. Like you i left it for 2 weeks in the fermenter, came out nice and clear with good colour. Am going to do another this weekend, but was thinking of using maybe amber malt?? not sure yet. Keep up the brewing its fun and very addictive. Dont be afraid to try different things and everyone on here is very helpful. All the best.

Yeah, Ill take one tonight then follow up tomorrow. Unlike you crazy cats I havent got any temp control fridge or cooler so its ben all over the place with the cold nights.. (anywhere from 16-20) Probs not good I know but hey what can you do. I imagine its the cold mornings that have slowed the yeast down?

Cheers mate.

Large swings in temperature can cause your airlock to bubble almost indefinately... think it has to do with the brew off-gasing and atmospheric changes, expansion of wort etc.

Anyway, take the hydrometer readings

Hey Saint roam, I've done a blonde before with BE2 and 500g of LDME and some hops, (cant remember which ones) and it turned out a treat. Like you i left it for 2 weeks in the fermenter, came out nice and clear with good colour. Am going to do another this weekend, but was thinking of using maybe amber malt?? not sure yet. Keep up the brewing its fun and very addictive. Dont be afraid to try different things and everyone on here is very helpful. All the best.

yeah mate, just like my blondes in bed Ive been expermenting quite a bit now :icon_chickcheers: Just hard to keep up with all the abbreviations for things!! I noticed how clear it's looking through the carboy! Can't wait, this is going to be an awesome brew I have a feeling... hate the wait in the bottles though, im still drinking the last batch which was a straight Coopers Pale Ale kit. I fermented it at the 20ltre mark and have to say I dont mind the stronger taste.

Latest posts

Back