Juice and strain - cider making made simple from whole apples

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Has anyone tried this method?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Onslowsdry

Reaction score
Hello and greetings from Guildford, England. I am a retired industrial chemist and hobbyist cider maker and enthusiast. If you want to learn more i can recommend my blog. It makes more sense if you start at the bottom (beginning) and work your way up. See: http://juiceandstrain.wordpress.com/
You'll find that the first post is a short YouTube video that shows my method in action : .

If you have surplus garden apples, or access to apples, you may like to give it a go. Dust off those juicers and get them juicing!

Last edited by a moderator:
I do about 70-100l a year from roadside apples. Unfortunately the local pig farmers beat me to the apples this year before they were ripe so i gave it a miss. Good info on the straining, i usually just let the fines settle, but always get some in the bottles or kegs. I'll be using the strainer idea next time i get the juicer out.

edit; great work on the vids by the way.

I use a champagne yeast. This has cut out the uncertainty that can be associated with relying on natural yeasts in the apple. I prefer to go for simplicity and the results have been good. Joe Talbot on BBC Radio Surrey/Sussex liked the result. See my recent post on non-beer-brewing.

Latest posts

Back