Jsut Tried 1st Brew, Does Not Taste Right

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gros21

Reaction score
its hard to describe almost liek some one poured a shot of red wine into by beer. im 75% positive this is a coopers heratige larger, made with 500g LDME and 500g dextrose and used a americian pale ale, fermenting temp was about 20 maxed at at 23.3

:blink:

What was the exact recipe again?

Coopers Lager + 500g LDME + 500G dex?

Yeast? APA = US05?

How old is said brew? As in, how long in bottle or keg?

What was your original SG [OG] and what was you final SG [FG] ??

More info please!

Saying it maxed out at 23.3C is pretty specific. Are you sure it didn't get over that? If your probe is outside of your fermenter it's likely the temperature inside was much warmer, as fermentation creates heat.

I'm guessing by "red wine taste" you mean hot alcohol? That flavour (fusel alcohols) is generated from hot fermentation temperatures.

Your tasting too early.

Leave it for a few more weeks. Then chill it right down in the fridge for a few days.

Should be fine.

I had 2 fermenters sitting in a fish tank with pump and heater. I had one of those digital thermostats witch record max temp.
No readings were taken
I fermented it for 2 weeks.
Let it sit at 2 degrees for a week.
Then keged and bottled, bottles were just left at room temp, 18-25 degrees
Let it sit for 2 weeks
Cracked open a bottle after it was in fridge for 24hrs

Cracked open another beer from 2nd fermenter just as crud :(

Well... first step is to take hydrometer readings, pre and post fermentation. Then you can tell if you had actually completed fermentation. Incomplete fermentation can lead to sweetness, and bottle bombs.

recpie above is correct but it was a hetatige larger I'm sure it was coopers but maybe I'd was Morgans. Actully it was 1kg dex and 500 lme

Second recpie was big w wheat beer brewiser 750g honey 500g dex same yeast.

At moment I have 2 brews fermenting in chest freezer set at 15 degrees with ale yeast. I'll c how they go if they fail any one want a complete set up?

8 kegs
72 new tallies
380 chest freezer (6 keg)
2 x twin fonts
2 drip trays
2 gas regs
1 brand new air up cylinder
12+ cans of brew
Hundreds in fittings and misc
5 sodastrem bottles
Ss cooling coil
Bench capper

Ok, So :blink:

Don't mean to repeat myself BUT What are you asking again??

You have tasted a 2 week old brew from bottle? or keg?

And it tastes a little sweet? Like a red wine shot has been added?

Sorry, had a couple but just tryin to help! :unsure:

Ok, So :blink:

Don't mean to repeat myself BUT What are you asking again??

You have tasted a 2 week old brew from bottle? or keg?

And it tastes a little sweet? Like a red wine shot has been added?

Sorry, had a couple but just tryin to help! :unsure:

Red wine mouth puckering astringency? Or the harsher alcohol or solvent smell and taste?

If it's harsh alcohol / solvent, it's fusels because the fermentation temp was too high. Peer through the top if you want, and have a look to see if there's an oily slick on top of the wort.

This happened to me a couple of times before I realised my Fridgemate temperature controller wasn't set up right - I had it set for 18 degrees, and the compressor wouldn't kick in until it reached 22. Actual wort temp ended up being something around 24 (!).

If the red wine flavour was uplifted aromas of white pepper, rose, voilet and blackberry, complemented by spices of cinnamon, with an orage peel and apricot lift which then settles into exotic spice, it was probably bottled too soon.

If, on the other hand, it was more along the lines of hint of white pepper and blackberry jam on the nose, which is supported by secondary aromas of american oak, with a combination of elegant fruit with great length and emerging mint characters, it was probably fermented too warm.

Seriously, though, I'm with Adam that it is probably fusels that you are tasting, and most likely aldehydes. They can be formed due to high fermentation temperatures, fluctuating temperatures, too many simple sugars, lack of aeration, and also poor yeast health. Aldehydes, in particular, are noticable in incomplete fermentations, as they are formed as part of the normal formentation process, and are then converted in to ethanol at the end of fermentation. Without hydrometer readings to establish if this is likely, or a more accurate description, it is all guess work anyway.

Acetaldehyde can, in some cases, convert (at least partially) in the bottle, so time may (possibly) improve it.
Added to that, if it was coopers heretige lager, that's pretty low hopped, so with 500g ldm in it, even if it attenuated fully, I wouldn't be overly surprised if it was a little sweet. And when thats combined with a kilo of dex, you have a very light bodied beer that is about 5.5% alcohol. With no malt backbone to it, it would be a little hot.

Damn, I just lost everything I wrote!

Here's a few tips in a nutshell.

1. Get a hydrometer from a Homebrew shop and use it everytime, at the start, throughout, and at the end. And taste those samples...

2. Take notes of every recipe. Eg, get on www.Countrybrewer.com.au, jump onto the hints page, download the logsheet, print a bunch off and staple em together. Works for me.

3. Leave the dextrose for priming your beers. Use malt extract. That's my 2 cents..

4. Looks like you bought enough to run a pub. Stick with it, and you'll have it all full of awesome beer your mates will be envious of.
Don't give up straight away. You've gotta expect to lose a few.

i thought putting fermenters into tamk would keep trmp more constant.

buy red wine flavers i mean exactly that a sweeter wine taste, not strong alchol flavors.

what temp is americian ale yeast suitable for any one know a good higher temp yeast i can use.

will it get better with age? how long should i leave it before i crack open teh keg (its already gasssed up?)

it just annoys me i spend $2500 easy hope to get drinkable results,

i ahve a hydrometer i just gave it way longer than needed (1week after it stoped boubling) to make sure it had fermented 100%

o well the 2 beers fermenting in teh chest freezer will be keged up tonite, and ill put 2 more brews into chest freezer while it is empty. if none of thease 6 beers are drinkable by the time the 3rd batch is done (3-4weeks) i'll give up.

Oh i have few cans of thoise morgans male extracts so i get rid of teh dex and add one of the can in is it taht simple?

Mate ditch the dex and use just malt youve put an ale yeast with your lager. Having your fermenters immersed in water outside will not give you a constant temp and it was probably a bit hot in Rocky at the time you were fermenting, not to mention the fact that natural light is a bad thing for beer probably worse while it is fermenting.
I would have to agree that temp probably was too high for these. And if your second brew had honey in it that would be affected by the temp as well.
If you want to improve your beers try steeping some specialty grains with your kit cans. Check out the steeping grains on the craftbrewer sight. Youve spent too much to turn back now the cost of stepping or even partial mashing gear would not be big.

good luck with the brews in the chest.

Brad

will it get better with age? how long should i leave it before i crack open teh keg (its already gasssed up?)
It may settle down a bit with age, but will still have the fruity wine taste. Try the keg if it's gassed, you don't really need to wait when using kegs. If it's the same taste then somethings happened during the ferment, if different then it may be due to the priming of the bottles. When I first tried home brewing we went for the higher alco content by adding more sugar and the beer always turned out very fruity and sweet - great if all you want to do is get drunk, not great if you wanted to drink a beer.

it just annoys me i spend $2500 easy hope to get drinkable results,
But it didn't cost anywhere near that amount to make this beer did it, and will only cost a little more for the next batch in comparison.

i ahve a hydrometer i just gave it way longer than needed (1week after it stoped boubling) to make sure it had fermented 100%
You'll read a lot of replies on many threads - don't rely on the airlock to tell you if the fermentation has started or stopped. The gas can find easier ways to escape than through the airlock in most instances. Hydro readings staying constants and at a gravity which is expected for a few days is the way to tell if it's finished.

o well the 2 beers fermenting in teh chest freezer will be keged up tonite, and ill put 2 more brews into chest freezer while it is empty. if none of thease 6 beers are drinkable by the time the 3rd batch is done (3-4weeks) i'll give up.
Don't give up so easily - you've pumped a lot of money into the setup, the process of making beer with kits is very cheap in comparison. Have a good read through here, before making up a batch, post on here the recipe you are going to follow and people will come back with excellent suggestions and advice for you.

Do you have anything controlling the temp of the chest freezer? If so what temp is it set to, the differential temp and where is the probe.

Good luck mate
-cdbrown

Back