Joe White Malts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horner34

Reaction score
Im new to ag and I am preparing for my next brew which will be an export 80/-.

My question is do I shell out for the bairds ale or do I go for the JW. If there is much of a diffrence what JW malts do make a good substitute or better option.

Im hoping that you will help my sense of aussie pride and tell me they are great.

Horner ,

I am sure you will make a decent drop from JW,

I prefer Barrett an Burstons others may prefer Bairds .

Brewing is very a matter of personal tastes

pumpy

Arguments can be made for both and if you ask 100 brewers you will get at least that many opinions. Try it with one and then try it with the other and see which you prefer. You can make great beer with either.

you have to drink it so you will have to try both and use what you like best.

I have not found a base malt worth bagging personally........ JW, IMC, Bairds, Weyermann, i love them all.

When it comes to darker specialty malts i use bairds and weyermann malts exclusivly as i believe they are superiour to the JW products but thats my taste.

cheers

Im new to ag and I am preparing for my next brew which will be an export 80/-.

My question is do I shell out for the bairds ale or do I go for the JW. If there is much of a diffrence what JW malts do make a good substitute or better option.

Im hoping that you will help my sense of aussie pride and tell me they are great.

They are different malts, both are good but used for different reasons. The JW pale will be cleaner and will not be as biscuity as marris otter. You could get similar results with JW but would need to add a small amount of specialty malt.

Kabooby :)

Back