Joe White in Hot Water

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sp0rk said:
So to resurrect this
I've just made a Bavarian Weizen using Weyermann Boh Pils
I've been getting 65-68% efficiency with JW malts
Just hit 85% efficiency with the boh pils (and blew my expect gravity way out)
only difference was I did a Ferula-Acid rest with the boh pils
Lucky you're weren't brewing 500 litres or more at a time..... That's a lot of extra grain !

sp0rk said:
So to resurrect this
I've just made a Bavarian Weizen using Weyermann Boh Pils
I've been getting 65-68% efficiency with JW malts
Just hit 85% efficiency with the boh pils (and blew my expect gravity way out)
only difference was I did a Ferula-Acid rest with the boh pils
Sorry spork, but you have not really clarified anything, was the increase in eff due to the different malt or the ferulic acid rest.
I get 80% efficiency using JW pilsner on my system but a slightly reduced efficiency using weyermanns pilsner malt at 76% eff, and that's the exact same mash profile.

I'll be doing the exact same mash schedule with my next beer (using JW ale), to get a better comparison

sp0rk said:
I'll be doing the exact same mash schedule with my next beer (using JW ale), to get a better comparison
Bump, did you ever do this test? Stumbled on to this thread and now I'm curious whether there's anything to it...

The original article is about deliberate misinformation being allegedly passed onto a new owner.
Efficiency results in a batch of hb aren't really going to tell anyone anything

I posted the original article because it was in mainstream news and of relevance to the community, not to freak everyone out and equate jw malt with cigarette ash.
Get a grip my brothers and sisters.

The brew day ended up being cancelled, so I haven't brewed since
I don't know if I'll even bother with the experiment, I'm hoping to have my 3V up and running by the next time I have to brew so my efficiency will be different anyway

Latest posts

Back