James Squires Rum Rebellion Porter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you can get it at any vintage cellars store now for $16 a 6 pack or about $50 a case

drinking one now. very much like the normal porter but with sublt rum flavour. very nice but i was expecting something a little stronger and more complex.
yeah can buy it online at Vintage Cellars for 48.99 + 5.95 for freight to my door. Freight is cheaper these days than driving half way across town to find a case.

Macr just a bit of info in your hunt for this beer in Darwin.There is a Vintage Cellars outlet at 27 Cavenagh street Ph 89417354 that may sell it.

Cheers
Big D

Now (finally) on tap at the Worldsend in Hindley St.
Apologies to any as necessary... I just "happened" to be in there vainly looking for lost pieces of last Friday night.

As an infrequent rum drinker I find the initial rum hit quite pronounced and quite warming at the back of the throat.
About mid-way through the pint the tastebuds have acclimatised and you have to search a bit for the rum flavour and by pint's end the roasted grain notes are predominant.
I garnered the opinion of some who tried the initial release last year and they described it as having less "rum sweetness" than the original. I don't know whether they felt they had to dumb it down a little or whether there may be some issues in doing a larger batch. For mine a little extra sweetness would have made it a bit more interesting. One criticism I have of the standard JS Porter is its lack of base malt depth. I think the same applies to the Rum Rebellion.
Still, it's nice to sit down and think about and enjoy what is effectively a commercial pint and still be able to taste it on the pallate long after walking out of the pub.

Sorry macr im over in Arnhemland hour and 20 flight from Darwin so cant help you there.Maybe Bonk will have an idea as he is Darwin based.
Out of curiosity as a person who hasnt tried this yet anyone care to have a guess as to how much rum to add to say a 22-23 litre batch of porter to make a similar sorta rebellious porter.

Cheers
Big D

C'mon Big D. Being a Northerner we know you're going to OD the beer with OP Bundy. :lol:

Warren -

:D Ok ya got me there Warren.
Rum as the base with a hint of beer to make it interesting <_<

Cheers
Big D

If you're into strong beers you have to check out the Emerson's Bourbon Porter. It's sublime. Went into the Bourbon casks at 4.9% and came out at 9+%.

Shipping may set you back a bit...

www.emersons.co.nz

If it's not Lomu running over your weedy backline, it's Richard Emerson showing you how to make good beer. Ah.... I think I'll head home and crack one open tonight.

For the Newcastle boys, I got the last case from Dan's at Greenhills, but the Whitebridge Cellars has a pretty good stock in. So be quick.
And its a great drop.

ATT QLD:

If you were keen to give this a try and were having trouble finding it, liquor savers at lytwyche had around 12 cartons when I was in there earlier today. $54.99.

Picked one up for myself. :beer:

If anyone around Sydney (Re. N/W) is still looking for cartons of this...Today at work I had to visit a few BWS' and the one in Riverstone has about a dozen and a half cartons(2 for each man,woman and child in the town!!) also the BWS at Rouse Hill had 3 cartons at about 2.30 pm today....

If anyone around Sydney (Re. N/W) is still looking for cartons of this...Today at work I had to visit a few BWS' and the one in Riverstone has about a dozen and a half cartons(2 for each man,woman and child in the town!!) also the BWS at Rouse Hill had 3 cartons at about 2.30 pm today....

BWS Riverstone still had about 8 cartons left today. Not a bad drop IMO, although not as "rummy" as I'd probably expected.

tony

Kia ora yalnikim

i will be looking for the emerson as few bottlos have a few of there beers or the wheatie have them as well

i liked the old i had when i was over the ditch but the pils is great Myabee us aussie can steal emersons and call him an Aussie

Back