James Squire Pale Ale - New Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The JS golden ale was definately lagerish on the nose and in the glass. Waste of money.

I picked up a case of this after work today. Wish i bought a single bottle. As said above, where are the hops? Turn the Galaxy up a couple of notches and it could be a good beer. Only thing i can think of is they dont put much hops in to keep within a budget, as all their beers are priced the same. Damn shame though, wish i forked out the extra and got the Stone & Wood, this being a fathers day present to myself and all!

I found this pretty disappointing. My dad and I cracked open a bottle each and his first comment went along the lines of "it's very bland for a james squire beer".

After reading about the hops used in this one I was expecting something more. It's not a terrible beer but it doesn't stand out either. Just another gateway pale ale.

all the james squires beers are fantastic, the best ones ive had are the speculator and the 100 lashes while on a visit into melb town and dropped into the brewhouse there on Russel st, since i first stared brewing well over 6 yrs ago ive come to appreciate different styles and brands of beer other than the old vb and draught that to me quite frankly just dosnt cut it anymore, personally im a fan of full flavour proper beer that will taste just as good after a dozen with out that sickly tast you get with commercial beers

all the james squires beers are fantastic, the best ones ive had are the speculator and the 100 lashes while on a visit into melb town and dropped into the brewhouse there on Russel st, since i first stared brewing well over 6 yrs ago ive come to appreciate different styles and brands of beer other than the old vb and draught that to me quite frankly just dosnt cut it anymore, personally im a fan of full flavour proper beer that will taste just as good after a dozen with out that sickly tast you get with commercial beers

I don't even know..........

idek.jpg

Big Call. But is subjective as all personal taste is.

Golden Ale might as well be in a west end draught can now, I remember when you got the Amarillo aroma when drinking out bottle, then it changed and you had to use glass to get it, now it's just not there.

Never Liked the Amber or IPA, only the Porter has any respect points left IMHO.

Will still take Golden from tap as it is usually the best tap selection in whatever place you're at.

Big Call. But is subjective as all personal taste is.

Golden Ale might as well be in a west end draught can now, I remember when you got the Amarillo aroma when drinking out bottle, then it changed and you had to use glass to get it, now it's just not there.

Never Liked the Amber or IPA, only the Porter has any respect points left IMHO.

Will still take Golden from tap as it is usually the best tap selection in whatever place you're at.

+1

Squires is shit these days
I remember when it was a beer that made you sit up in your chair and say to yourself "**** me! that's a nice beer".

I am in agreeance with Pollox here ... The hop Thief .. is James Squires best yet beer ... bring it back !!!!

Hear, hear! The Hop Thief was a mighty fine beer.

I tried the lashes pale on tap a couple of months ago at the Courthouse at Newtown. Very disappointing, despite being a pale ale it tastes like every other bland, tasteless lager on the market. To say it contains hops, is an insult to hops :angry:

Had some last night alongside kosiosko pale and the golden ale as well at the Rose in Erskineville. The 100 lashes was the nicest of the 3. I thought it was just a nice easy drinking aussie style pale ale with a touch of hops. I must admit I haven't seen the bottle packaging, but it doesn't appear to be marketed as an APA so why is everyone expecting a shitload of hops? Its not the sort of beer I'll go seeking out, but it is one I'll happily drink in a session.

Tried the Pale Ale on tap last week. From memory it was nothing real special.

I would disagree. In the pub I can smell the amarillo when someone walks past with a jug of Golden Ale, the hops are certainly there.

I had this at the Fox and it was terrible. Absolutely horrible. It was as bad as Tooheys New without exaggerating. It tasted like a filtered Coopers Pale or something. Yuck.

Had it "fresh" at a JS unveiling/tasting night a few months back.

Awesome beer. was really excited by it, couldn't wait for it to be released onto the market.

Grabbed a sixer a few weeks back. Yuck. Where did all the flavour go?

Didn't taste anything like what i tasted at the gathering months earlier.

I hope they haven't dumbed it down already??

had, no cancel that, bought a pot of it the other night. Drank half, then moved on to another venue.
Underwhelming is how I would describe it, even after reading the reviews in this thread.. still, if it's a choice between this and VB or Draught..

What ever happened to their amber ale?
A couple of years back I thought I'd found the holy grail of shop bought beers. Now, not so much. Actually, not at all.
Something(s) missing, and my palate's to underdeveloped to detect where these things have gone.

It's sessionable, but nothing to write home about....

And the bullshit on the bottle.....

"A clean-finishing Australian-style cloudy pale ale for cracking refreshment. Malted wheat adds to its refreshing character and a concoction of hops creates fruity aroma with hints of passionfruit, grapefruit and citrus"

Please........concoction of hops? I'd be shocked if the hops actually ever touched the kettle or were just waved over the top....

This was precisely my experience over the weekend with it. Well said, sir.

Back