James Squire Amber Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patty

Reaction score
g'day brewers!

Newbie Here ,I have tracked through the recipes here and on other websites and finally put down my first JSAA version this recipe came off the Coopers website that I spotted and seemed "right up my alley as it was all basically extract form, fairly easy to put together.I dispense in 50 litre kegs so I double up this recipe with 2 of each

Anyway the recipe went like this (this is for a single batch of 23 litres)

1x1.7 kg Coopers APA
1x 1.5 kg Coopers liquid Amber Malt
250 grams of Darrk Brown Sugar
The recipe suggested 5 grams of Fuggles and 5 grams of Cascade (pellets) boiled for 30 min
And 10grams of Cascade and 10 Fuggles dry hopped at start of fermentation!

has anyone had any luck with a recipe similar to this, I have never used Brown sugar I. Any of my brews so I will be interested to see how it turns out!

I made one recently. Drinking very nicely after one month of bottle conditioning.

1 x Muntons blonde kit
1 x 1.5kg coopers amber liquid malt
15gm golden cluster hops - steeped for 10 mins and thrown into fermenter
US-05 yeast
In fermenter for two weeks

Cheers,
Andrew

patty said:
g'day brewers!

Newbie Here ,I have tracked through the recipes here and on other websites and finally put down my first JSAA version this recipe came off the Coopers website that I spotted and seemed "right up my alley as it was all basically extract form, fairly easy to put together.I dispense in 50 litre kegs so I double up this recipe with 2 of each

Anyway the recipe went like this (this is for a single batch of 23 litres)

1x1.7 kg Coopers APA
1x 1.5 kg Coopers liquid Amber Malt
250 grams of Darrk Brown Sugar
The recipe suggested 5 grams of Fuggles and 5 grams of Cascade (pellets) boiled for 30 min
And 10grams of Cascade and 10 Fuggles dry hopped at start of fermentation!

has anyone had any luck with a recipe similar to this, I have never used Brown sugar I. Any of my brews so I will be interested to see how it turns out!
Hi Patty - welcome to the forum...

I note that you're doing a largeish batch and doubling up on the recipe. Are you going to add the amber malt, dark sugar and hops in a small boil? If so, and you're doubling up, I'd add more than just double the hops. A 30 minute boil won't deliver maximum bitterness from the hops so go a bit heavier on the hops to keep the balance in the beer - you don't want to put in all the effort to find your beer too sweet....I've used Dark Brown Sugar with success - I tend to replace Fuggles with something else such as Northern Brewer....anyway, brew on and good luck!

Cheers,
TL

G'day Westozah and TL thanks for the "heads up" ,I was going to boil the amber malt with the hops alone and boil for 30 minutes then throw the APA in with the brown sugar, you have raised a concern i had as well I thought the recipe was a bit "light on " with bittering hops in general even when I double the batch,so I instead of boiling 10 grams of fuggle and cascade, in my case for a double batch, I was thinking of increasing it to 25 grams of each and dry hopping with 50 grams of each!

I am really new to adding hops so my apologies if I come across vague,and not "in the know"

Thanks again

Hi Patty,
I'm pretty new to adding hops myself and have only used the Copper Tun tea bags so far. The results have been increasingly pleasing, especially since ditching the kit yeast in favour of the Fermentis US-05 yeast. One of the guys here recommended that I try it and it makes a huge difference. Happy Brewing!

Latest posts

Back