It Took The Japanese To Convert An American To Dutch Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Im missing the american/dutch thing. A non desvript beer is carbed and somhow thst means its an aerican beer (big style range there) into a dutch beer?

r are u saying that only tge dutch like a big head?

Last edited by a moderator:
Forst time I went to Holland and went to a bar (admittedly already a little "intoxicated" when I walked in) and ordered a couple of beers ... and the barman does the WORST POUR EVER and then gets his wooden spatula and scrapes the HUGE HEAD off flush and hands me the beers it was good that I was so paranoid and weirded out that I didn't say anything culturally insensitive like, "WTF? Fill it to the top!"

The Dutch are fun; the Japanese are funny.

Forst time I went to Holland and went to a bar (admittedly already a little "intoxicated" when I walked in) and ordered a couple of beers ... and the barman does the WORST POUR EVER and then gets his wooden spatula and scrapes the HUGE HEAD off flush and hands me the beers it was good that I was so paranoid and weirded out that I didn't say anything culturally insensitive like, "WTF? Fill it to the top!"

The Dutch are fun; the Japanese are funny.

Being a Clogwog by birth, the Dutch still do it this way.
A beer is served there with what is supposed to be a thumb thickness of head. I don't mind it, my own brews often end up this way in any event, even though I don't carbonate very high. On the other hand, I can see the attraction of a restrained head on the beer, a la Pommy ale style.
As for the video, I can't for the life of me figure out what the Murcan/Dutch thingy is all about. Looks pretty stupid, don't think I'd waste my money on those glasses. Thank goodness I'm not one of those dumb looking Japs, doesn't take much to amaze them!

Recently I started purposely pouring my porter with the perlick half closed to froth the crap out of it, seems to make it taste a fair bit smoother than when I pour normally (perhaps just too much carbonation for the style giving a bit of bite to it at my normal serving pressure)

You can do the same thing doing a vertical "clink" on your mates bottle. Even crappy beer will foam over. All it's doing is snapping the carbonation out, making it flatter sooner. It's a stupid idea. Or better yet, salt your beer.

The only freshness modifier I've seen that kinda works is medium grind black pepper. Just a couple grains sunk in the bottom will bring an under-carbed beer back to life...kinda...sorta

Back