Isp - Adelaide

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drsmurto

Reaction score
About to change jobs and wont be able to use the internet at work for playing around on AHB :( . After nearly 2 years without a phone or the internet at home i need to change that post haste if i am to get my fill of AHB wisdom.

So for those in Adelaide particularly who is your ISP and what deal have you got?

Trying to stick to a budget so have been looking at TPG and Adam for their 1500k packs (18-20Gb per month) for around $50/month.

Cant get ADSL2+ in the hills and wireless access is very slow up here as well. :angry:

Any suggestions? Telstra and Optus seem to be bloody expensive and i wont be bundling anything with the broadband.

Cheers
DrSmurto

Go with anyone but Telstra/Optus, they always blast you in the anal fissure.

Check out Internode, I'm getting a pretty good deal (compared to other providers in our country of third-world Internet) on ADSL2+. Not sure what you can get up in the hills though.

+1 for Internode

Internode also offer free wireless around the city and airport, at hotspots. So if you are using a laptop you can still download your emalis etc, without issues. (Adelaide company too).

I'm happy with internode.
The techy boys I used to work with recommended them, but now the techy boys are all with Adam! :)

I'm happy with internode.
The techy boys I used to work with recommended them, but now the techy boys are all with Adam! :)

Go Internode for sure, or TPG have some good cheap ADSL2+ plans.
Adam is good also.

Edit: Just read you can't get ADSL2+...

If you want a trouble free and reliable connection - go with Internode.

I am over in Newcastle, NSW so can't enjoy the wireless etc but do get a lot of value out of their Nodephone.

Been with them many years without problems.

Dave

internode have some good deals on at the moment. Good bye Bigpond!

If you want a trouble free and reliable connection - go with Internode.

I am over in Newcastle, NSW so can't enjoy the wireless etc but do get a lot of value out of their Nodephone.

Been with them many years without problems.

Dave
If you ever find yourself in Newcastle airport you can take advantage of the free Internode wifi. Even if you are not an Internode customer you can use it for free web access.

Hmmmm. Adam and Internode ey?

1500kBps - 20Gb allowance for Adam, 5Gb for Internode - both $49.95/month.

If i sign up with Adam for 24 months, i get a free modem and free connection
With internode, no contract but no free modem plus a connection fee and 15Gb less to dl per month.

Cheers for helping, good to hear from ppl who are happy with their ISP. Will look into the fine print and get connected ASAP.

internode have some good deals on at the moment. Good bye Bigpond!

'Sif ever with Bigpong!

I'm with Exetel. Cheap no frills operation, lots of off peak bandwidth for your money, but you have to know what you're doing with your own gear. Their service desk doesn't do the touchy-feely warm and gooey stuff. They just handle logged calls for outages really.

PS moving this to Off Topic.

With internode, no contract but no free modem plus a connection fee and 15Gb less to dl per month.

Cheers for helping, good to hear from ppl who are happy with their ISP. Will look into the fine print and get connected ASAP.

+2 for Internode. I have been with them for two years now. ADSL 1500/256 5gb plan. Never yet had a problem. I use my ISP to also make Voip calls and the speed is very reliable. Yep Telstra are bloody expensive. Stay weeeelllllll away from Dodo.

BYB

I don't know anything about Adam's service but a two year contract. Can you imagine how much net services are going to change over the next two years? There is a whole bunch of services like iptv coming down the pipe. A two year contract is not a good deal. Once again I have nothing against Adam but don't lock yourself in like that. Do they have a no contract option?

Yes, long contracts are bad. Exe have only 6 month contracts for ADSL1.
For $55 you get 12GB in the pm hours and 48GB in the am hours, as well as a choice of shaping or paying $3 per GB excess.

I'd suggest you look at http://bc.whirlpool.net.au and compare all plans, consider setup cost, contract length, etc then check out the whirlpool forums for the ISPs you shortlist on bc. Lots of detailed raves in there, as well as a bit of shill posting, from what I can gather.

*******!!!!!

Am on a pair gain system and have just been told i cant get ADSL until Telstra upgrades the exchange. So my only option is dial-up :(

*******!!!!!

Am on a pair gain system and have just been told i cant get ADSL until Telstra upgrades the exchange. So my only option is dial-up :(

Yep, cant get ADSL either for the very same reason, yet my next door neighbour can :huh: <_<
Had foxtel installed for a 3 month free trial 10 years ago then cancelled pay TV, but kept the connection which we now use soley for internet

BB.

*******!!!!!

Ouch!

Another option is the 3G wireless network. I get 7mbps on the train! :D

Wireless network up in the hills is a similar speed to dial up......

Looking into satellite as the government apparently subsidises the cost for those that cant get broadband.

Foxtel connection? Previous owners had foxtel, dish is still on the roof. I did notice the foxtel connection next to the telly has 2 plugs, one that looks suspicioulsy like a phone line but smaller..... might have to ask around about that. ISDN?

Foxtel connection? Previous owners had foxtel, dish is still on the roof. I did notice the foxtel connection next to the telly has 2 plugs, one that looks suspicioulsy like a phone line but smaller..... might have to ask around about that. ISDN?

Dr S, the second plug on a Foxtel connection is used by the settop box to dial Foxtel (at least in my case) once a month for billing information. It's also used for some interactive stuff like games and voting. Internet over the Fox connection is available on cable Foxtel connections, not satellite ones.

ISDN was great for me before I could get ADSL but I have a feeling Telstra are phasing out, or maybe already have, residential ISDN plans.

Dave

Back