Is Too Much Headspace A Problem?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mick8882003

Reaction score
Well I have a 70L fermenter, and I have worked out that three batches is just to much at once. What I am wondering is it a problem to make the fermenter up to 40L and ferment that?

I can't see it as to much of a problem? What do you guys think?

Cheers

Mick

Personally i don't think so. Once the yeast gets active and starts producing C02, you'll have a blanket of C02 (which is heavier than air) so your beer will be protect.

Remember also there are breweries out there that use open fermenters (think how much head space they have!!).

Cheers

SJ

So long as you rack or bottle once fermentation is finished. The mythical blanket of CO2 will dissipate.

agree with all. CO2 will blanket when fementation is active, so headspace is not an issue. Rack when finished (or just before), and it's sorted.

Cool, time to work out how high to fill it for 2 kegs.

Thanks guys :)

Oh yes and as always, cheers

Mick

It's been a long time since I've been in a chem lab but I've always wondered - if this blanket of CO2 magically protects fermenters
all over the world, why (when it is really calm with no wind blowing :rolleyes: ) don't really short people have trouble breathing? After all,
air is made up of Nitrogen, Oxygen, Carbon Dioxide and other gasses so the CO2 should fall to the bottom...?

On a more serious note, if your sanitation is up to scratch and your ferment kicks off within a day or two, I wouldn't be too worried.
What is this "blanket of CO2" going to protect you from? Not infection. Not fusels. Not a poor recipe. Not poor yeast health. The CO2 is more about preventing oxidation than anything else.

By the way, test yourself. If air is made up mostly of Oxygen, Carbon Dioxide and Nitrogen.....before you google it..... write down
what percentage of each gas is in "AIR". (Assuming the other gasses are near enough to zero).

If you came close, give yourself a cigar, because I failed miserably.

Cheers,
smudge

80% N, last time I looked...
18% O...
2% rare gases and others.

Why? Did someone f*rt too much and increase the methane? :D

Cheers - Fermented.

A parallel of this tread was discussed a short while ago about 15 lt in a 30 lt fermenter, can't find it now for the life of me, but general consensus was that it wouldn't be a problem. Just observe normal good sanitation and all will be good.

Cheers
Gavo.

Back